RHEL6.3 Workstation, HP Envy 17 laptop, DisplayPort hates me... :(

Latest response

Hi everyone.  I'm relatively new to RHEL.  I've used CentOS some, Ubuntu a lot.

I have a new work laptop, and we chose RHEL6.3 Workstation for compatibility with a set of tools (Xilinx).

The laptop is a very nice HP Envy 17 3260NR.  It's intended to be a desktop replacement.  When at the office, I'd like to use its dual DisplayPort oututs to drive a couple of monitors.

Unfortunately, I can't get the DisplayPort outputs to show any signs of life under RHEL.  The graphics card is an ATI 6827.  

me@lagrange ~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 6827

This laptop actually has two graphics controllers on it.  One is a low-power Intel based GPU.  The other is the higher end ATI card.  The intended functionality is that the low power card is used for easy stuff and the high power card would kick in to do serious image/video work.  That all works in Windows, but from reading up on this, it looks like the switching isn't supported in kernels < 2.6.35.   There are some linux utilities out there like vgaswitcheroo that you can build into the kernel to allow that kind of thing. I don't think that's the problem though.

I feel like there's probably something simple... like an xorg.conf setup to allow me to switch on the DisplayPort outs.  I just haven't been able to find it.  Does any genius here on the RHEL forums know how to fix this?  I'd appreciate any ideas.  Thanks!

[jaredj@lagrange ~]$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 6827

Responses