Tip needed for DNS structure.

Latest response

Hello all,

I have an environment with two DNSs authoritatives (master and slave). I have two needs: First is to add a new authoritative, second is to rebuild others with new SO (RH6). Can I add a second master in this environment and next convert the old master into slave?

Thx

Daniel

Responses

A rough set of steps for this process would be as follows:

1. Install RHEL and BIND on the new second master.
  2. Configure BIND on the current master to allow-zone-transfers from the new master.
  3. Configure the new master to slave of all of the zones from the original master (or just copy the zone files over.)
  4. Once you have all of the zone files over, adjust the configuration to set "type master;" on all of the zones on the new master.
  5. Make sure that all zones have the new master listed in the NS records for each zone, and adjust the SOA of each zone, if necessary.
  6. Make sure that the new master is configured to allow-zone-transfers from the old master.
  7. Adjust the configuration on the old master to set "type slave;" on all of the zones. Set the "masters" directive for each zone to point to the new master.
  8. If these zones are external, you will need to update the nameserver information for each zone with your registrar to ensure proper resolution.

Thx man, I have changed my strategy. The new DNS server will be a new Slave, so how should be the steps?

I guess with this way, things should be easier.

The above posted list of instructions should be the same, except you want all of the zones to be listed on the new slave DNS server as "type slave;" and you want the "masters" directive to contain the IP address of the master for each zone.

You also want the master to have the IP address of the new DNS server listed in the "allow-zone-transfers" directive.

If you've previously registerd a set of hostname records with your registrar, you can typically do server updates/subsitutions/role-changes without having to notify the registrar of anything. While the registries like you to designate a given server as primary/secondary/tertiary, it's never really been enforced (at least not in the 15+ years I've been running name servers). Basically, so long as any one of those listed servers answers, you're golden. So, you can do maintenance/sustitutions/etc., at will, and people will still be able to resolve your hosts.

Typically, the nameservers I list in the registries are actually all secondary servers. I leave the the true master server not direclty reachable from the internet at large. It helps keep the authoritative records a bit more secure and, I have full flexibility to replace public-facing DNS servers or the private master servers, at will, without service interruptions. Because your public-facing servers are serving out cached-data, you can take up to your TTL time to do your maintenance work on your current master server (actually, you can go longer, but the served-up data is technically "stale" if you do). Assuming you transfer all of your DNS config files and zone files from your old master to your new (and re-usie the old server/OS's IP addresses), your public-facing servers will just periodically check in, see if the master server's back online and update their local zone-copies if any zone data changes have occurred.

In sum, there's no real reason to go through all of the rigamarole of moving mastery about as you do a node-by-node upgrade.

Does the above violate RFCs? Possibly. But, BIND practically seems designed to support these types of configurations.

I have one doubt.

I have the domain.rx.com.br and website.rx.com.br hosted internally and website2.rx.com.br hosted externally. How should I configure this structure into BIND?

For website.rx.com.br I know that I need to configure zone file (website.rx.com.br.dns) and named.conf, but I ask how to configure for this externally hosted website2.rx.com.br? 

Thx all.

If you don't want to make domain.rx.com.br and website.rx.com.br available externally, you can setup and configure views to define what you'd like to make available internally and externally.

Please see Sadique's link below for more information.

Thx all...

My problem is that website2.rx.com.br is available in and ex but is hosted outside, with another nameserver resolving it, and I want to record into my DNS server like some kind of "relay". Should I configure it into "rx.com.br.dns" zone file?

You can use delegation. Please search the web for  "BIND DNS delegation examples"

Eg, http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch9/delegate.html

Is the "How to configure multi-view DNS?" section from the below document going to help?

https://access.redhat.com/kb/docs/DOC-49278