No-cost RHEL for small production workloads and customer development teams

Latest response

New Year, new Red Hat Enterprise Linux programs: Easier ways to access RHEL

Excerpts from what Red Hat just announced today :

While CentOS Linux provided a no-cost Linux distribution, no-cost RHEL also exists today through the Red Hat Developer program.
The program’s terms formerly limited its use to single-machine developers. We recognized this was a challenging limitation.

We’re addressing this by expanding the terms of the Red Hat Developer program so that the Individual Developer subscription for RHEL can be
used in production for up to 16 systems. That’s exactly what it sounds like: for small production use cases, this is no-cost, self-supported RHEL.
You need only to sign in with a free Red Hat account (or via single sign-on through GitHub, Twitter, Facebook, and other accounts) to download
RHEL and receive updates. Nothing else is required. This isn’t a sales program and no sales representative will follow up. An option will exist within
the subscription to easily upgrade to full support, but that’s up to you.

We recognized a challenge of the developer program was limiting it to an individual developer. We’re now expanding the Red Hat Developer
program to make it easier for a customer’s development teams to join the program and take advantage of its benefits. These development
teams can now be added to this program at no additional cost via the customer’s existing subscription, helping to make RHEL more accessible
as a development platform for the entire organization.

The updated Individual Developer subscription for RHEL will be available no later than February 1, 2021.

We know that these programs don’t address every CentOS Linux use case, so we aren’t done delivering more ways to get RHEL easily.
We’re working on a variety of additional programs for other use cases, and plan to provide another update in mid-February.

Update February 2021 : Red Hat Developer Program Terms and Conditions -> Red Hat Developer Subscriptions for Individuals

Responses

Thanks for sharing this info Christian.

You're welcome, Jan ! Awesome news ... isn't it ? :)

Is my understanding correct that both the updated developer plan and zero-cost production programs will be available not later than Feb 1?

Anyway, exciting news. Sharing the word: https://lukas.zapletalovi.com/2021/01/install-rhel-83-for-free-production-use-in-kvm.html

Hi Lukas,

You understand it correctly, no-cost RHEL for up to 16 systems in production available not later than February 1st. :)

Regards,
Christian

Do the new terms include the right to use an on-premise Red Hat Satellite in Production?

I was wondering the same, my guess is that not-paying customers will not be able to generate Satellite entitlement and the product won't be included in the subscription. And it makes perfect sense, just 16 instances is not much and such a small fleet can be connected to RHN directly. It could make some sense for business cases tho.

Hi Lukas,

You are guessing ? Aren't you a Red Hatter, and rather should know ? Humor makes life easier ! :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Arthur,

I don't think so, Satellite is included in the dedicated Smart Management subscription, it never was in the dev sub. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Arthur,

You need to ask Red Hat customer support.

My guess is not, for the current terms do not include Smart Management, a requirement for Red Hat Satellite on-premise.

It is not included in the current Developer subscription.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Hi guys,

Quick question, If I download the current "for Development Use" version which is available as a free download, will it work with the yet to be released No-cost RHEL for small production workloads subscription ? Sorry If it's a dumb question, I'm not very familiar with how the subscription system works, basically what I want to know is if I download & install the current version can it be changed in the future to use the Free Subscription for < 16 servers ? Or the version that will be released on 1 Feb will be different than the current one and should better wait for that ? I have to install RHEL on a server next week and I'm not sure if i should wait until Feb or I can go ahead and install the current available version.

Thank you!

Hi Victor,

The bits are the same as in the paid version - so if you download and install today, nothing will change. :)
The only thing that might have to be done, would be to re-accept the T&C's, and possibly to re-register.

Regards,
Christian

Thank you very much for clearing things up Christian, cheers!

You're welcome, Victor ! :)

All,

Be aware this part of the Red Hat site is a customer discussion forum.

For detailed information you need to contact the appropriate Red Hat service. In this case you could follow the link on top of the original post and check if it is updated.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Hello all.... I currently use Centos at work on 5 servers. How Do i register or download this new free Red Hat subscription/version. I am new to the Red Hat site Is there a URL or something?

Thanks..

Hi Rob,

Welcome to Red Hat ! First register to the Developer program - and then download the bits ... enjoy "the Original". :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks Christian! Ok done. I signed up under the developer program. So now i can use Red Hat Linux Server for under 16 small development servers at the office? I just need to be clear I understand this, as to not be doing anything wrong. :)

Have a great day and stay safe! Rob Morin Montreal, Canada

You're welcome, Rob ! You can use up to 16 systems for development and/or in production. :)
The terms & conditions on the website are not updated yet, but you can see the information
already right in your account on the customer portal : 1 subscription provides 16 entitlements

Regards,
Christian

Ok, sounds cool, I have another newbie question am i able to see on my portal what my count is , so to speak? As I installed a test Virtualbox to go through a set before i do a Hardware one. I ran: subscription-manager register --username user@XXXXX.com --password XXXXXX--auto-attach

Did not complain. :) Should i see this install somewhere in the portal? Does it take time maybe as its been a couple hours.

Thanks..

Rob Morin Montreal, Canada

Yes Rob, you can find your systems here -> https://access.redhat.com/management/systems ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Ok I see the server now, after I ran those commands, was too impatient to wait till tomorrow. :)

So now before I start to setup a couple servers, I noticed the one i installed as a test shows a start and end date. What does the end date mean? Besides the obvious. I thought the dev systems were good for life? End date show today date in 2022

Thanks... Rob Morin Montreal, Canada

Hi Rob,

As I already asked you to open a new discussion, please do it. It is a specific question which
doesn't fit to this thread related to "no-cost RHEL available for small production". Okay ? :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Rob,

As you seem to be a quite new member, I'm gonna give you the explanation nevertheless. :)
Most Red Hat subscriptions end after one year and then have to get renewed. It's the same
with the developer subscription, after one year you have to renew it - it's not a life time sub.

Regards,
Christian

So am I understanding nothing needs to be done to your developer subscription to use RHEL in a production environment? Also, will they keep the developer entitlements. It seems kinda silly to eat up a production license for say, a vagrant box.

Hi Wesley,

Exactly, nothing needs to be done, but each system "eats" one entitlement, regardless how or where it is installed. :)

Regards,
Christian

Wonderful! Thanks for the help! :D

Gladly - You're welcome, Wesley ! :)

Thanks much Christian for this info.

Regards,
RJ

You're welcome, RJ ! :)

Hi Rob Morin,

At the top of the webpage you should see a tab "Subscriptions".

On that webpage you should open the systems tab, it should show the newly registered system, and how many updates/errata are applicible per type.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

@Jan, thanks for the quick reply. So far its empty, I guess maybe it takes time, or I did not reg it correctly.

I will wait a day and see if it appears.

Thanks & Stay Safe

Hi Rob,

Just in case something went wrong and the systems are not visible by tomorrow, execute the following commands. :)

Un-register the system :

sudo subscription-manager remove --all
sudo subscription-manager unregister
sudo subscription-manager clean

Re-register the system :

sudo subscription-manager register
sudo subscription-manager refresh

Search for the Pool ID :

sudo subscription-manager list --available

Attach the subscription :

sudo subscription-manager attach --pool=<Pool-ID>

Regards,
Christian

Ok, thanks, will do! I will update this post, if something goes wrong....

Have a great day!

Hi Rob,

In case something goes wrong (which I hope it does not), please create a new discussion thread. :)

Regards,
Christian

Ok Roger that!

Take care...

Please clarify, can I use Individual Developer subscription working in enterprise company on company servers? Or is it only for personal "home" use?

Hi Nikita,

This is something you should better ask the sysadmin of your company, who must clarify it with the legal
department of your company, after they had clarified it with their Red Hat sales representative. We, here
on the Customer portal community are volunteers, and not employees of Red Hat. :)

Regards,
Christian

At first it was information about 16 production nodes - that's all. Now it's only for individual use… so I guess, I cannot migrate from CentOS to RHEL for our https://www.etlegacy.com/ open source project since we have team of few people? :/

Hi Konrad,

To clarify the confusion, call the local Red Hat Customer Services department.

Small production environments versus individual seem to contradict.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra