Is restart pcsd service require any downtime/interruption?

Latest response

Dears,
As mentioned on the below reference, to take effect of configuring the SSL, TLS ciphers on the pcsd, we have to restart pcsd service. Thus, is there any downtime/interruption needed?

Can the options for SSL, TLS and ciphers be configured with pcsd on RHEL 6 and RHEL 7?

Responses

Hi Hussain,

You could simply run the command "needs-restarting -r" to find out if your system needs a reboot or not. After this check the status of the command by running "$ echo $?", if this returns " 1 " then your system needs a reboot, otherwise " 0 " indicates no reboot required. Otherwise, running the command " needs-restarting" without any argument would also show list of services that needs restart.

Please refer this Red Hat KB to understand which packages needs system restart Which packages require a system reboot after the update?

I hope this helps you.

Also, this is for Red Hat team:

Please update this KB, since "needs-restarting -r/s" doesn't work and throws errors on RHEL6 systems.

Hi Sadashiva Murthy M,

You are referring to a system reboot. IMHO Hussain is referring to a Pacemaker cluster service restart after a configuration change.

So he is asking whether or not the cluster resource will go down during the restart of the cluster service. Do you know or is it better for Hussain to open a Red Hat case to get his question answered?

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Not sure about that Jan Gerrit Kootstra. Probably Hussain should provide/answer to this. As per his statement:

is there any downtime/interruption needed?

I guess he is asking about system downtime. Anyways, let's see what he has to say about it.

Hi Sadashiva,

I think Hussain indeed talks about the down time of the cluster, "Is restart pcsd service require
any downtime/interruption?" But I have to agree with you regarding the details, a little bit more
information would help us to (better) help him ... :)

Regards,
Christian

I completely agree with you Christian.

Hi Hussain,

My advise: Open a Red Hat support case to ask the RH cluster team engineers' opinion on this.

Older cluster software I used cman/rgamanager caused downtime due a file system umount, mount action.

Pacemaker I have not used, but I am afraid it would do the same.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Hi Hussain,

The question would be : Can you tolerate a down time of the cluster (and if it's only for one second), or not ?
To be on the safe side I would recommend to open a support case with Red Hat - as Jan Gerrit mentioned. :)

Regards,
Christian

Dears, Thanks for your kind reply. Actually, as Christian Labisch said, I am asking whether restarting pcsd service will cause any downtime/interruption or not?

You're welcome, Hussain ! From a logical point of view, yes ... when you restart the service, there's a short
interruption and only you can decide if you can tolerate it. If unsure, open a case, as we've suggested ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks for writing back with clarification. For any future posts please write up with complete details to avoid such confusions.

Only a few selected services offers the feature of reloading without service interruption, however, to gain full use of the configuration change a restart is required. As Christian & Jan Gerrit mentioned, the service downtime or interruption would be there when a service goes down and comes up. In case of a cluster, this would interrupt the mounted file systems, mapped IP addresses, active logical volumes etc., those which are part of the service group. So, what matters finally is that if you've enough downtime to tolerate those interruptions, if so yes then go ahead and reboot, otherwise, plan for downtime and execute. If you are still not convinced or have some doubts then trigger a case with Red Hat technical support team.

All the best!

pcsd - pacemaker/corosync configuration system daemon

I don't think there will be any interruption to services unless there is change in configuration, I will test and provide results