RHEL 8.2 Developer Registration

Latest response

RHEL 8.2 BetaHi, I have 2 RHEL VM's on VMware and Windows 10 host. My first VM is an RHEL 8.1 that ran out 2/13/2020. It was registered with a Beta for 1 year (Feb 2019 to Feb 13th 2020.) I sent a request to renew but haven't heard back. It needs to be free. My 2nd VM is a new RHEL 8.2 beta from the Developer site. I want to register it with the no-cost Developer subscription. I signed up for Developer and didn't get the "Accept Terms" at first. So, I downloaded 8.2 beta. Then I got the Agreement and accepted. After installing on VMware earlier today, it won't register with the Developer account. Under Subscription Manager, it just lists my old 1-year RHEL Beta and says it's expired. While installing 8.2, I used "Server with a GUI" and added the Development Tools. So how do I add my Developer subscription? "Server with a GUI" or other options etc... while installing? Here's a screenshot of 8.2 beta. Please reply. Thanks rhel 8.1 developer

Responses

Hi Mike,

Two things : Firstly, you should unregister the old RHEL 8.1 Beta system before registering the new RHEL 8.2 Beta and secondly,
you cannot attach the Beta system to your Developer subscription ... you have to attach it to the dedicated Beta subscription. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Mike,

Here you can request a new free RHEL 8 Beta subscription : https://access.redhat.com/products/red-hat-enterprise-linux/beta
Just click on GET STARTED ... :) Here you find some additional information -> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.2 Customer Beta FAQ

Regards,
Christian

Hi, thanks for replying. I woke up this morning to find I have 2 new RHEL Subscriptions. One for Developer for a year and the other for 8.2 Beta for another year. I guess it just took them 24-48 hours. I have a few more questions. First, is Developer better than Beta? I might add a few things from Developer. Can I add them to my Beta Virtual Machine? Second, is RHEL Desktop or Workstation better than Server? I'm at home. I'd like Workstation. Not sure of the difference. And is there any settings needed while installing Server with a GUI? From my Developer subscription? Like checking Developer tools? Do I need to add anything else? I'm currently unregistering my old VM's and starting with a new 8.2 Workstation with my 1-year Beta subscription. Thanks for the help! I'll check back later.

Hi Mike,

It is not that complicated, the developer subscription lets you use stable RHEL editions, where the beta lets you
test unreleased software. You can't and shouldn't mix anything ... please note that you won't get any updates for
the beta. Regarding the other question, Server has no GUI, Workstation has, so if you want to have a GUI, install
Workstation. Server with a GUI is more or less the same, but is known to possibly generate installation problems.
I suggest to install the latest stable RHEL 8.1 (developer subscription), and select 'Workstation' in Ananconda. :)

Regards,
Christian

I found this on the differences between RHEL. Can I go with Server even though I only need Desktop? Is it as fast? I'd like the extra features. Do they update the same? Same amount of time between updates? Thanks again

Hi Mike,

Server is the base ... Desktop or better Workstation gives you a GUI on top. There is no difference between the
variants when it comes to updates, all variants get updates at the same time, what matters are packages being
installed, and those are getting updated. Workstation has more packages installed than Server (obviously) ... :)

Regards,
Christian

I'm back...A few more questions. How do I know if I'm on Server? It just says Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.2 on "Details > About." Also, can I change Device name "localhost.localdomain?" On Server? And it'll show up in Terminal (username@rhel8.) Unless I need to keep that the same for Server. And my Developer Subscription doesn't show up in Sub Manager. Just Beta. Everything else works. Please reply. Thanks

Hi Mike,

You are always on Server - Server is the "superset" on which everything else (like Workstation) builds upon. You
can change the host name to whatever you want with hostnamectl. Seems you have to learn some basics ... :)

"Developer Subscription doesn't show up in Sub Manager." ? Don't understand, 20 minutes ago you told us :
"I woke up this morning to find I have 2 new RHEL Subscriptions. One for Developer for a year and the other
for 8.2 Beta for another year." Anyway, I hope that my explanations were useful, and could clarify everything.

Oh, and the "Sub Manager" within the installed system does only show the matching subscription, of course.

Regards,
Christian

In the case of RHEL8, there is no distinction between Server and Workstation. In RHEL7 and previous, there were distinct content sets, which some packages being in Server and not in Workstation (and vice versa).

RHEL8 has a 'flattened' content set, where all content is the same.

This is why System Purpose exists. Because while the underlying content is the same, we need some way to say 'here is how I am using this system' so that 1) we can track inventory properly, and 2) so that the subscription tools can associate an appropriate subscription

Hi Rich,

I know ... just wanted to explain it in a way that Mike can understand it easily.
Nevertheless, thank you for adding this more comprehensive information. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi, thanks for all the info. It will help! I'll install 8.1 stable with Developer and choose Workstation. Developer Subscription shows up on the RHEL website but not in 8.2 Virtual Machine. Maybe not "installed system"?

Hi Mike,

As I said before : Within the installed system only the matching subscription gets shown, which in case of
RHEL 8.2 Beta would be the RHEL 8.2 Beta subscription and not the standard developer subscription. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Mike,

One general thing ... I recommend to get used to use the command line (terminal) for such topics like subscription management. :)

Here are some command examples :

sudo subscription-manager list
sudo subscription-manager list --available
sudo subscription-manager list --consumed

sudo subscription-manager repos --list
sudo subscription-manager repos --list-enabled
sudo subscription-manager repos --list-disabled

sudo subscription-manager status

Regards,
Christian

Hi, I'm back. I installed RHEL 8.1 Workstation with Developer Tools and Gnome. I successfully Registered it. I guess my Beta subscription is only for 8.2 Beta and my Developer is for Stable 8.1. My question is, how do I know if the Developer Subscription is working? I'm attaching a screenshot. It doesn't say Developer but it's registered for a year (2021.) Please take a look at the screenshot and tell me if it looks correct. For Developer. Thanks again for all the help!

Hi Mike,

Correct, "my Beta subscription is only for 8.2 Beta and my Developer is for Stable 8.1." The new screenshot shows
"Subscribed", so everything seems to be okay now, and "how do I know if the Developer Subscription is working?"
Just execute the command sudo dnf upgradein a terminal ... and if it runs without errors - you're good to go. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Mike,

I see a minor issue that can easily be fixed - "Status: Mismatched" - to solve it follow the workaround in this thread.

sudo subscription-manager role --unset
sudo subscription-manager usage --unset

Now it should show "Status: Matched" ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Got it. Says "Status: Matched" and "sudo dnf upgrade" works. I'll mark this as solved.

Hi Mike,

Great ! Glad we've got it done ... now enjoy your new system. :)

Regards,
Christian