Desktop Icons not showing

Latest response

Hello,

I noticed that my icons are not showing up on my desktop. I checked the Desktop folder and files and folders are listed there. Is there any way to get this to work?

Responses

Hi Robert,

The concept of modern GNOME is designed to not have and make use of desktop icons. Although there may exist some
workarounds to bring them back, I'd recommend against it because this tends to break the desktop environment in some
scenarios. Best would be to just use the desktop environment as it is intended to be used by the GNOME developers ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Robert, use "gnome-tweaks" command (from a terminal) and poke in the settings (with your non-root account).

[you@yoursystem ~ ] # gnome-tweaks

A window appears. Select Desktop at left. Pick Icons on Desktop and check Show Icons so it is on.

Let us know how it goes

Regards

RJ

Hi RJ,

Thank you for providing this specific solution, it is one of the "workarounds" I've mentioned above. Please let me
add two things. Firstly, gnome-tweaks is not installed by default, to run the command, one has to install it before.
Secondly, the functionality (desktop icons) is deprecated and in newer versions of gnome-tweaks the possibility
to enable this feature is not available any longer ... just for clarification and for your and Robert's information ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi RJ,

What I wrote about the default install of gnome-tweaks is valid for RHEL 8 ... not sure (don't remember)
if this is/was valid for RHEL 7 as well. Anyway, I think we should get used to live without desktop icons. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi RJ,

I did some additional research ... gnome-tweaks is available for RHEL 8 only.
The tool name changed : In RHEL 7 the name is/was gnome-tweak-tool ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Thank you all for your responses. I will keep it the way gnome was intended. Thanks for sharing this information!

You're welcome, Robert ! Good decision ... I'm doing the same. :)

Regards,
Christian

Robert, glad you have it installed.

Christian, I was running gnome-tweaks from a Red Hat 7.7 server that I am using as a workstation to study for RHCE. I don't specifically recall installing the rpm that provides it (provided by gnome-tweak-tool). I did verify to make sure I'm not too crazy that the command under RHEL 7.7 server-with-gui is gnome-tweaks.

Icons on the desktop for me are irrelevant as well, but I know some do want it.

Thanks Christian, and glad you got it resolved Robert

RJ

Thanks for the information, RJ - and for confirming that the tool is included in the base installation of RHEL 7 ... :)

Regards,
Christian

In RHEL8 there are two Gnome desktops, "standard" and "classic" (both using Wayland)

When you log in, click on your user name, then BEFORE you enter your password, click on the cog wheel next to "sign in" You should see multiple choices

I strongly dislike the new Gnome "standard", so I choose "Classic (Wayland display server)" This gives you a start menu in the top left corner, the clock, the status bar, and allows icons, and you don't need the search box. As far as I know, Gnome Classic is supported in RHEL8 and will be forever (I hope).

Thanks for the hint, Gerry ! :)

Regards,
Christian

I just loaded RHEL 8.1 server with gui. gnome-tweaks is an available rpm from RHEL 8 appstream. Not that I care about icons, but someone might.

Regards

RJ

Hi RJ,

Thanks for the information and confirming that the tool has to be installed explicitly (see my comment above).
One has to go to the Extensions tab and enable desktop icons there. Also, please note that this is valid for the GNOME Classic session only - which means you have to select GNOME Classic on the login screen ... right as
Gerry Hickman already mentioned. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks for the info Christian :)

Regards

RJ

You're welcome, RJ ! :)

Hi, Whats the point of having a desktop when you can't put icons on it? I want to start a terminal with a mouse click

Best would be to just use the desktop environment as it is intended to be used by the GNOME developers

What is their intention? Clean desktop? How do I solve this problem with the least amount of mousemiles and clicks?

Thanls

Hi Klaus,

The concept of GNOME is to stay out-of-the-way and focus on the work users actually are doing. :)
"The least amount of mouse miles and clicks ?" ... Just hit the Windows key, type a letter and launch.

Regards,
Christian

I've been fighting this with RHEL 8.2 for 2 straight days, and I am not a fan. Luckily, I finally found gnome-tweaks as already mentioned, and that made the Gnome experience 1000-fold better. Sadly, I still couldn't get custom desktop icons (I don't give a lick about "Home" and "Trash") working.

Just now I accidentally right-clicked on a MyApplication.desktop file from the desktop NOT the Files application navigated to ~/Desktop/. There is a handy little option called "Allow Launching" that magically solves the entire issue.