Unable to activate LVM partitions in RHEL8 for NVME controller

Latest response

Hello,
I am trying to start RHEL8 on a BIOS machine with NVME controller but it goes in Dracut Emergency Shell with the warning:

Warning: /dev/root does not exist

I have investigated and I have found that the LVM partitions are inactive, so it cannot find root.

I have used the following kernel parameters:
kernel parameters
Have I made some mistakes with them?

Thanks

Responses

Did you install the NVME drivers?

Hi, I think that the drivers are installed. The same issue also occurs for SATA controller with ahci.

Hi Mariano,

The first important thing to check would be : does the mainboard of your machine support booting from NVME at all ?
If it doesn't - place the EFI partition and the /boot partition onto a SATA HDD or SSD drive and then reinstall GRUB. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi, I use the default RHEL 8 partitions that are LVM. I think that the problem is related to the LVM partitions. I want to point out that the same issue appears on both NVME and AHCI controller. Furthermore, RHEL 7.5, with the same kernel parameters and same partitioning, works well on the same machines. Can you check if my kernel parameters are appropriate for RHEL 8? Thanks

Hi Mariano,

There is no difference between RHEL 7 and RHEL 8 regarding the installation process and when you say it
works with RHEL 7, then it should work with RHEL 8 as well. I suggest to install the system the "traditional"
way : Create a bootable medium from the DVD.iso, boot from this medium and use the Anaconda installer,
configure everything from there. Eventually something is wrong with your personal configuration/setup. :)

Regards,
Christian

On my redhat systems with LVM (pretty much all of them) I need kernel arguments to activate the root and swap partitions during boot, e.g. my grub2 entries include things like: linuxefi ... rd.lvm.lv=OS/root rd.lvm.lv=OS/swap ... where there is a volume group "OS" with logical volumes named "root" and "swap", just to be as blatantly obvious about it as possible. These are usually provided via the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= entry in /etc/default/grub. This tends to be automatic from the anaconda installer.

Thank you James, I use the kernel parameter rd.lvm=1, that should activate all the lvm partitions. I have also tried your way but nothing changed.

Hi Mariano,

Did you check the website of your server vendor for specific issues with RHEL 8. Sometimes they tell you need some specific setting during or after installation to make the boot complete.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Mariano,

Please explain what you want to achieve: "Do a kickstart installation via grub or a boot via grub"

To me it looks like a mix of both.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra