USB 3.0 support on RedHat 5.2

Latest response

We are trying to qualify RedHat 5.2 on new HW platform. Unfortunately the new Motherboard comes with USB 3.0 and RedHat 5.2 does not have USB 3.0 support.

Is there a possibility of getting the USB 3.0 code from RedHat 6.0 and compile it in RedHat 5.2 ? What is the risk involved with this ?

We are trying to upgrade to RedHat latest version but that is a long pole and we want the USB 3.0 support in RedHat 5.2 ASAP... Any suggestions on this is well appreciated.

Responses

Hi Arivazhagan,

I could say a lot of things, but I tell you the (bitter) truth : forget about RHEL 5 - that edition is completely outdated, it is not
properly supported, it is unsafe to use, and so on - it is a complete waste of time for you to keep on using it (and for us to try
providing suggestions that might work, or not). Please install the latest stable edition, which currently is RHEL 7.6, it's worth
the effort ! Oh, and "getting the USB 3.0 code from RedHat 6.0 and compile it in RedHat 5.2" most probably won't work ... :)

Regards,
Christian

The last time new hardware support was added to RHEL 5 was over five years ago. At this point the only issues that will be fixed in RHEL 5 are for critical issues (very few bugs will be fixed). No more erratas will come out after November 30, 2020. This is documented in Red Hat Enterprise Linux Life Cycle.

We recommend upgrading to a recent release. If you absolutely must run RHEL 5 on new hardware, it is possible to run it at a guest. Install RHEL 7.6 on the physical hardware, and RHEL 5 as a guest. Work on migrating the software that requires RHEL5 so that it works with RHEL 7. If the software is from a third party vendor, encourage that vendor to make the necessary changes to the software so that it works in newer RHEL releases.

Regards,

Marc

Hi Arivazhagan,

Like Christian already mentioned, RHEL 5.2 (not Red Hat a very old product range) is out of support. Even an update to 5.11 will not give you a supported RHEL release.

Back porting by yourself, can give you support issues.

Just go for a RHEL release that is supported.

So go for RHEL 7.6 or wait for RHEL 8.0 (if you are willing to wait for maybe one or two month).

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

quote: "We are trying to upgrade to RedHat latest version but that is a long pole and we want the USB 3.0 support in RedHat 5.2 ASAP... Any suggestions on this is well appreciated."

This is not going to happen as RHEL 5.11 is End of Life

Thanks Jan Gerrit and Marc for confirming/underlining what I said "in other words" ... hope that Arivazhagan is convinced now ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks everyone for your quick response. We are working on upgrading to RedHat 7.6 in parallel. But, unfortunately we can't upgrade RedHat immediately as the product is widely deployed in customer base. Hence looking for options to back port USB 3.0 support into RedHat 5.2 in new HW. Eventually from next release we will support RedHat 7.6 Are there any absolute road blocks due to which we can't pursue this option ? I understand support issues.

Hello Arivazhagan,

In theory it would be possible for you to port a USB 3 driver to RHEL 5. RHEL 6 supports USB 3 with the xhci_hcd kernel module. If you build your own kernel, the kernel will not be supported by Red Hat. If you use the Red Hat kernel, but use a non-USB 3 kernel module with it, the kernel would be largely supported, but not the USB 3 kernel module. On the other hand, support for the RHEL 5 kernel will end in a little over a year and a half.

I have no idea how invasive the changes will be in order to get the USB 3 driver working. I have no idea how much work this will be.

Regards, Marc