Unable to install Google Chrome on Linux

Latest response

Hi All,
I am trying to install Google chrome using the command
yum install google-chrome-stable

But getting this error messge that some packages could not be downloaded, please advise.

Error downloading packages:
libXScrnSaver-1.2.2-6.1.el7.x86_64: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
redhat-lsb-core-4.1-27.el7.x86_64: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
spax-1.5.2-13.el7.x86_64: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
redhat-lsb-submod-security-4.1-27.el7.x86_64: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Linux version 7.2

Responses

Hi ! :) Assuming the needed repositories are enabled and correctly configured and you are having a working internet connection ...
sudo yum clean all | sudo rm -r /var/cache/yum | sudo yum update | sudo yum install google-chrome-stable

Regards,
Christian

Hi, How do I work out what are the needed repositories, why cannot RedHat work it out themselves and add needed repositories.

This is where Windows wins hands down. Internet connection is on.

Thanks Jack

Hi Jack,

As I don't know anything about your system setup, this is what you generally should enable :

sudo subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-extras-rpms
sudo subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-optional-rpms

(replace "server" with "desktop" or "workstation" when you are using one of those editions)

sudo rpm -Uvh https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm

Now add the Google Chrome repository : sudo nano /etc/yum.repos.d/google-chrome.repo
Paste the following text into the empty file and press Ctrl + X and then Y and Enter to save that file.

[google-chrome]
name=google-chrome
baseurl=http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub  

Execute sudo yum clean all | sudo rm -r /var/cache/yum | sudo yum update
Now install Google Chrome by executing sudo yum install google-chrome-stable

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian, Your first suggestion worked, thanks. I had to disable a Media repository but still don't understand how RH has left it for the users to work out the repositories and the dependencies. I was wondering connect to one repository and get everything you need and rest the OS will take care of the dependencies.

Thanks Jack

You're welcome, Jack ! Once you're getting used to how Linux generally works - it won't be a big problem.
Linux distributions such like Red Hat Enterprise Linux simply do things differently compared to Windows.

Cheers :)
Christian

I found that doing the following will work for installing Chrome on Red Hat:

wget https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm

the second command is:

yum -y install redhat-lsb libXScrnSaver

the third and final command is: yum -y localinstall google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm

Hi GD,

Thanks for sharing this alternative way to install Google Chrome - well, let me add some additional information ... :)
yum install instead of yum localinstall works as well and the installation includes the creation of the repo.
yum -y install redhat-lsb libXScrnSaver shouldn't be necessary, because the dependencies are pulled in automatically once you invoke the install command.

Regards,
Christian

I have tried all the suggestions above, yet, i am still getting dependency error.

"Error: Package: google-chrome-stable-73.0.3683.103-1.x86_64 (google-chrome) Requires: libgtk-3.so.0()(64bit) Error: Package: google-chrome-stable-73.0.3683.103-1.x86_64 (google-chrome) Requires: libgdk-3.so.0()(64bit) Error: Package: google-chrome-stable-73.0.3683.103-1.x86_64 (google-chrome) Requires: liberation-fonts Error: Package: google-chrome-stable-73.0.3683.103-1.x86_64 (google-chrome) Requires: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.16)(64bit) Error: Package: google-chrome-stable-73.0.3683.103-1.x86_64 (google-chrome) Requires: libatk-bridge-2.0.so.0()(64bit) Error: Package: google-chrome-stable-73.0.3683.103-1.x86_64 (google-chrome) Requires: libatspi.so.0()(64bit) Error: Package: google-chrome-stable-73.0.3683.103-1.x86_64 (google-chrome) Requires: libappindicator3.so.1()(64bit) You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodiges"

Is the same procedure applicable for RHEL-8 as well?

Hi ! :) Yes, it is - but you should wait until EPEL for RHEL 8 is available ...

Regards,
Christian