RHEL7.5, GUI fails to start - i7-8700 CPU (intel 630 video card)

Latest response

Hello,

This is driving me nuts and not sure where to go with this (other then punt over to Fedora perhaps).

System is a new i7-8700 pc using the integrated Intel 630 video (only has VGA or HDMI ports). Am using the box as a home lab. When installing I was only able to install the OS using a text version of the installer (but I did select Server with GUI when picking my packages). Completed that, but upon reboot, the server starts a GUI (usual gray Gnome screen with a small spinning icon) then falls back to CLI after a few seconds.

Being such a new chipset/video card, I went about getting the repos installed (making sure to subscribe to get the latest updates) and updated the system (now 3.10.0-862.6.3.el7.x86_64). Still no luck.

Googled further and applied the i915.alpha_support=1 flag to grub. Still doesn't start. As a last gasp from googling, I also set i915.enable_guc_loading=-1 (which is auto mode, so it can start if necessary). None of my attempts have solved this issue.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!
Shawn

Responses

Any hint/errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

I didn't see anything but, as an experiment, I caved and installed Fedora 28 Server (adding in teh GUI packages) and the gui came up without a hitch (GUI even came up in the installer so that was nice too!) . I think I will leave it and install RHEL as guests instead.

Thank you for taking your time, Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Maybe something went wrong during the pre-installation process, when you chose Server with a GUI. Execute : sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target and reboot the system ... it might solve the problem. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

After I posted the first time and before I put down Fedora, I tried that, without success. I know the term "cutting edge" and RHEL do not usually go together and was reminded of that again. One really needs to get the newer driver support that later kernels offer I'm afraid.

Thanks! Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Then the best thing would be to use Fedora 28 as host and run RHEL 7.5 as virtual guest (as you posted before).
I'm running RHEL installed on bare metal on an older machine and as KVM guest on a newer one, both work fine.

Cheers :)
Christian

Thanks - I basically finished out laying down Fedora the way I like (adding in secondary drives to my LVM layout to host my VMs too). Re-downloaded the RHEL ISO (I always forget to save it!! :-) ) and will be creating my VMs today!!

Thanks! Shawn

Great Shawn, I wish you good luck ! And, good to see someone who takes such things with humor.
One recommendation : Use KVM rather than VirtualBox - KVM provides a way better performance.
You can install it by just executing : sudo dnf install qemu virt-install virt-manager

Cheers :)
Christian

Absolutely! I am old-school, first using KVM way-back in RHEL5. Squeezed the most out of it during RHEL6 (early adopter of SR-IOV) and streamlined it using RHEL7. I only use VBox on Windows when I have to, otherwise it's KVM all the way (i am very handy with virsh and editing the VM XML files). I built a new box to get myself up to speed on Kube and Docker (been awhile since I used them) as they have changed so much. The old system (Core 2 - not even a Core 2 Duo!) just wasn't up to the task. Heck, RHEL7 even pulled out support for the old NIC I had in the box so I dusted off a PCI (not PCI-E!!) NIC I had lying around to get the old girl breathing again. Alas, going from RHEL6.2 to RHEL7.5, the jump was too great and it couldn't run the one VM I set up very well. I jumped too far (i7-8700) and now I am beyond well-supported devices in current RHEL loads.

Thanks again! Shawn

You're welcome, Shawn ! :)