Satellite subscription no longer required

Latest response

We have just recently purchased new subs for our environment and during the process we were told from our rep that a Satellite specific sub is no longer required. I found this odd and reached out to RH on the phone and they had confirmed this. They said that Satellite is now part of the "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server with Smart Management".

If I understand correctly, I can install Satellite 6 on anything with a RHEL sub? And if a Satellite server is virtual, would that not be covered via the VDC sub? I cannot find any document that explains this or confirms on paper (web) about the subscription change.

Also the documentation for the install will now have to be updated:
3.2. Identifying and Attaching the Satellite Subscription to the Host

Please explain.

Responses

So there are a couple things here ...

If you are running a Satellite server, the Satellite Entitlement (subscription) includes the RHEL server license for the Satellite server application to be installed on (virtual or physical).

The RHEL with Smart Management is a subscription that has the RHEL Server license/entitlement bundled with the Smart Management license/entitlement. Those items could be purchased separately, but based on your description, you purchased the bundled RHEL license which has the Smart Management.

The Smart Management license/entitlement/subscription (whichever term you choose to use) is needed for the system to properly subscribe to and consume the services provided by Satellite.

The VDC sub is an entirely different license, and you will need to most likely have the "virt-who" service setup and configured to make use of the licenses on your virtual hosts. Each hypervisor will need to be configured with "virt-who".

Bottom line ....

Satellite is a separate management product. It must be licensed and purchased in order to make use of it.

A Smart Management entitlement can be thought of as a "client license" for each machine to register to satellite and be managed by Satellite. This can be purchased on top of RHEL, bundled with RHEL as RHEL w/ Smart Management, or part of the VDC RHEL + Smart Virt bundles.

Hope this helps

Hi Gary,

We also have recently renewed our Satellite environment and yes its all changed, back in the good old days you needed a separate Satellite subscription which included the base RHEL subscription allowing either one physical or virtual host and a smart management subscription for each physical host and a smart management subscription for upto 2x virtual guests.

Now you still need the correct amount of smart management subscription as before, which have increased in price, but these now include the right to use Satellite server (whether physical or virtual) which should give you the new subscription "Red Hat Satellite Infrastructure " to apply to your Satellite server (this does still include the base RHEL subscription) with the added bonus of InSight.

Kind Regards Jonathan

Thanks. I will have to figure out what I have available as I do not believe we purchased additional (standalone) RHEL sub to cover a Satellite server. Is there any documentation that explains the new subscription model that you know of online?

Hi Gary, We thought the same, but its included with the new "Red Hat Satellite Infrastructure" subscription that you should get for free.

Product ID (SKU) MCT3718
Support Level Premium

Architectures
ia64, ppc, ppc64, ppc64le, s390, s390x, x86, x86_64
Limits
Sockets: 128

Products Provided
Red Hat Satellite 5 Managed DB
Red Hat Ansible Engine
Red Hat Satellite
Red Hat Satellite Proxy
Red Hat Software Collections Beta (for RHEL Server)
Red Hat Software Collections (for RHEL Server)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server
Red Hat Satellite Capsule
Red Hat Satellite with Embedded Oracle
Red Hat Enterprise Linux High Availability (for RHEL Server)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Load Balancer (for RHEL Server)
Red Hat Beta

Awesome thank you!

Gary, please check out https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3382781. Let me knoew if you have any additional questions.

Thank you for this, Bryan. Very helpful.

Hi, I'm relatively new to confusing world of RH licensing. Since MCT3718 contains "Red Hat Enterprise Linux for x86_64" am I right in thinking I can use any number of the 50 licenses for a regular server install without satellite on it?

[Disclaimer: not a Red Hat employee, contact your sales rep. for details, etc.]

No. The purpose of the "Red Hat Satellite Infrastructure" license is to run as many Satellite servers (or Capsules) as you might need to support the rest of you (paid for) RHEL systems, but it is only for the Satellite/Capsule application, not other uses.

The above is correct.