docker search mysql - status code 404

Latest response

Hello,

I am doing the training "DO180 Introduction to Containers, Kubernetes, and Red Hat OpenShift", in the Chapter 2, topic "Provisioning a Database Server" I am receiving an error:

[student@workstation ~]$ docker search mysql
Error response from daemon: Unexpected status code 404

Thanks,
Diego

Responses

Hi,

What is the content of /etc/sysconfig/docker-registry?

On RHEL systems, /etc/sysconfig/docker-registry file controls the docker-registry config settings via SETTINGS_FLAVOR.

Regards,

Dusan Baljevic (amateur radio VK2COT)

Hi, thank you so much for your reply.

There is no /etc/sysconfig/docker-registry file. Into the /etc/sysconfig I have the following files

• docker

• docker-network

• docker-storage

• docker-setup

Thanks, Diego

Diego,

Have you opened a support case? As an internal, I'm guessing that you should contact the internal training department with the support request.

-STM

I get the same problem , Ive done a few labs and have encountered problems like this that dont appear like the video or online courses .
Do we have an answer for this yet please?

Hi, I am working with the team to resolve this issue. Once I have any news I will let you know.

Thanks, Diego

Hello Diego (and Alistair),

The workbook presents general content that would be relevant if you had your own lab equivalent environment set up with Internet access.

The Online Lab environment does not have Internet access by design. Everything you need to do the lab exercises, network services DNS, DHCP, HTTP(S), etc. and lab files, are provided by the classroom VM.

Chapter 2. Creating Containerized Services [Table of contents} CH02S01: Building a Development Environment CH02S02: Guided Exercise: Starting an OpenShift Cluster CH02S03: Provisioning a Database Server CH02S04: Guided Exercise: Creating a MySQL Database Instance CH02S05: Lab: Creating Containerized Services

In CH02S01: Building a Development Environment This section discusses what you could do on your own system/lab equivalent setup

CH02S02: Guided Exercise: Starting an OpenShift Cluster This section reviews what you could do if you had an openshift cluster and demonstrates the steps using the cluster provided in OUR Lab environment. CH02S03: Provisioning a Database Server This section discusses the provisioning of a database server IF YOU HAD INTERNET, which you do not have in OUR lab environment. This section provides a list of repositories that are on the Internet, then mentions specific container images provided with SQL content, again only available from the Internet, but not available in our lab environment.

Within this chapter, example commands are provided that need the Internet, specifically you tried to search the known repositories for a container containing mysql in the name, it will fail:

[student@workstation ~]$ docker search mysql Error response from daemon: Unexpected status code 404

This fails in OUR lab environment, and you will probably find many other commands will fail like this when your are reading the discussion sections within the chapter, they need Internet access. This is not mentioned in these explanation sections of the manual, they assume you could try this from an Internet connected host if you wanted to.

CH02S04: Guided Exercise: Creating a MySQL Database Instance The first step in this chapter is to simulate obtaining a container that has SQL database so that you can test out the database commands. It skips these earlier mentioned steps of searching, listing container names with mysql in the name, and uploading a copy of that image to your host.

The workstation should have Docker running. To check if this is true, run the following command in a terminal:

[student@workstation ~]$ lab create-basic-mysql setup

Procedure 2.2. Steps

Create a MySQL container instance.

Start a container from the Docker Hub MySQL image.

Open a terminal on workstation (Applications → Utilities → Terminal) and run the following command:

[student@workstation ~]$ docker run --name mysql-basic \
    -e MYSQL_USER=user1 -e MYSQL_PASSWORD=mypa55 \
    -e MYSQL_DATABASE=items -e MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD=r00tpa55 \
    -d mysql:5.6

All of the above works as indicated in the manual, as well as all the subsequent commands, because the lab environment has provided the container image 'mysql-basic' which you use to practice the SQL commands on.

CH02S05: Lab: Creating Containerized Services This is the full lab that has you repeat all the practice labs steps, again using just the internally provided container images from internal repositories, no Internet access provided.

Be aware that the workbook is used in live classroom deliveries, where Internet access MIGHT be available, and these commands would then work. But in our online lab environment, only specific practice lab or end of chapter lab sequences will work as written.

Regards, David Egan RHUniversity Online Support

HI I am too encounter this error due to the dockerfile and nodejs image not shared in the do180 github. Do you have those files ?