Which one should I prefer open-vm-tools or vmware

Latest response

Which I should choose open-vm-tools or provide by VMware vmware-tools ?

Vsphere 6.5 , 6 , 5.5

rhel 5,6,7

Yaşar TUNÇEZ's picture

Responses

Please see this VMware KB article.

In a nutshell: if a Linux distribution provides open-vm-tools from the distribution's standard repository and that distribution/release is supported by VMware, VMware supports and actually prefers you to use that. For older releases that don't include open-vm-tools just use vmware-tools just as before.

For RHEL, that means open-vm-tools for all RHEL 7.x and newer, and vmware-tools for 5.x and 6.x.

Strong response as always Matti.

In addition, you need to enable EPEL repository to get open-vm-tools for RHEL 6. open-vm-tools for RHEL 7 is on the standard rhel-7-server-rpms repo.

Hello Yasar,

This is a very hard question to answer. If you search the VMWare Knowledge Base, you are lead to be leave that open-vm-tools should be used, but once installed Vsphere 5.5 claims open-vm-tools to be outdated. I have no experience with Vsphere 6 or 6.5.

I would go for the VMWare-tools of VMWare as long as they are available.

Advise: Check the VMWare Knowledge base for the current status. The VMWare community for Linux lead me to this article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2073803?language=en_US

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

From experience with vSphere 6, open-vm-tools works well on both RHEL 6 and RHEL 7.

For the combination of RHEL 7 and VMware ESXi 5.5 (Vsphere is the management tool), the VMware Compatibility Guide says that open-vm-tools is supported (Recommended) while the vmware-tools is listed as just supported.

That leads me to believe that Vsphere 5.5 does not quite include the ability to recognize the open-vm-tools: Ithink it works along the lines of "if it's not the latest version of the official VMware Tools I know about, it's outdated". When Vsphere 5.5 was being developed, open-vm-tools did not quite exist yet as a released package, so it's understandable.

I just discovered open-vm-tools because we are having issues when upgrading VMWare Tools for RHEL5 x32 systems, that we are trying to migrate away from. For some reason, even after I unmount the ISO from the OS, it still has it mounted on vSphere and we have issues with vMotion and have to power them off to move to a different host.

I'm wondering if open-vm-tools performs better then VMWareTools which comes with vSphere? Or if there are pros and cons?

Hello Christopher,

In general umount of an external media like a DVD, CD or an USB media does not release the device it is put in. eject /dev/.... is the way to release the device. On a physical server eject/dev/dvd would open the drawer.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Jan, so if I'm understanding you correctly, instead of running the following command to umount the VMWare Tools ISO:

umount /mnt/dvd

Instead we would run the following?

eject /mnt/dvd

I was not aware of the eject command. I wonder if this is where the issues is, since I'm just using the umount command.

And again, I did not know about the eject command.

After upgrading the kernel for a RHEL6 to 2.6.32-696.16.1.el6, for some reason, VMWare Tools (v 10.1.10 would not upgrade), no error message once the install completed and summary in vSphere shows not installed.

I wanted to use open-vm-tools instead to try it, looks like there is only a repo from RedHat for RHEL7, and would have to use EPEL for RHEL6. It would take some time to get this setup in order for me to use this repo due to our security, so I had just grab the newest iso from VMWare.

So wanted to share my experience with others.

thanks

Was this helpful?

We appreciate your feedback. Leave a comment if you would like to provide more detail.
It looks like we have some work to do. Leave a comment to let us know how we could improve.
Close

Welcome! Check out the Getting Started with Red Hat page for quick tours and guides for common tasks.