passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

Latest response

Ran ansible user password change playbook and now I can't change the user password. Tried to ran passwd from the console but getting the error:
" passwd: Authentication token manipulation error". Anyone ever encountered this error?

Responses

Sisheer Guragain, as a starting point, try this link https://access.redhat.com/solutions/21693,

Also, let's say the username is "elvis", try this

Also try /sbin/pam_tally2 --user elvis and /sbin/faillock --user elvis and /sbin/faillock --reset --user elvis See that article too, let us know how it goes

I have tried everything, matter of fact, I can't change any other user's password even I am doing so as a root.

I fixed the problem. Had to fix system-auth and password-auth files and the issue got resolved. Thanks.

I suspect this is my problem as well. Can you share the changes you made to both files?

Regards, Greg Lindenfelser gindenfelser@gmail.com

Glad you got it resolved!

Perhaps consider posting the changes here you made for anyone else who faces a similar issue as you,

Thanks

Greg, I do not remember exactly what I did since it's been a year already :) but please try removing use_authtok from both /etc/pam.d/system-auth and password-auth and give it a try ( just to test it ). Hope that helps.

"passwd: Authentication token manipulation error"

This error happened mostly on /etc/pam.d/system-auth & password-auth If you had change some configurations on that configuration file please make sure what you change is right even spelling of the text.