passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

Latest response

Ran ansible user password change playbook and now I can't change the user password. Tried to ran passwd from the console but getting the error:
" passwd: Authentication token manipulation error". Anyone ever encountered this error?

Responses

Sisheer Guragain, as a starting point, try this link https://access.redhat.com/solutions/21693,

Also, let's say the username is "elvis", try this

Also try /sbin/pam_tally2 --user elvis and /sbin/faillock --user elvis and /sbin/faillock --reset --user elvis See that article too, let us know how it goes

I have tried everything, matter of fact, I can't change any other user's password even I am doing so as a root.

I fixed the problem. Had to fix system-auth and password-auth files and the issue got resolved. Thanks.

I suspect this is my problem as well. Can you share the changes you made to both files?

Regards, Greg Lindenfelser gindenfelser@gmail.com

Glad you got it resolved!

Perhaps consider posting the changes here you made for anyone else who faces a similar issue as you,

Thanks

Greg, I do not remember exactly what I did since it's been a year already :) but please try removing use_authtok from both /etc/pam.d/system-auth and password-auth and give it a try ( just to test it ). Hope that helps.

"passwd: Authentication token manipulation error"

This error happened mostly on /etc/pam.d/system-auth & password-auth If you had change some configurations on that configuration file please make sure what you change is right even spelling of the text.

Can share how do you fix the system_auth and password_auth? thanks