Red Hat Developer Tools software repository not available

Latest response

After reading the blog post Red Hat Releases New Development Tools on the Red Hat Developer portal, I wanted to try them out.
As advised in Red Hat Development Suite I executed sudo subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms
to add the Developer Tools channel.

Unfortunately I received this message : Error: 'rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms' does not match a valid repository ID.
So I executed sudo subscription-manager repos --list to check the valid repositories. Surprisingly that repository was not listed.

I executed sudo subscription-manager refresh and then sudo subscription-manager repos --list again ... no change ...
No rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms listed. I am running RHEL Server 7.4 Developer Edition and in the mentioned blog post is written :
"As always, it’s available at no-cost."

What's going wrong here ... can someone please tell me if I'm missing something and what I have to do or whether this is possibly a bug ?

Christian

Responses

Christian,

I don't think you are missing anything, as I am having the same problem.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
Christian

Yes, it is true as Christian said, there is nothing called "rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms_x86_64" repos to sync up.

Ansible>subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms_x86_64
Error: 'rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms_x86_64' does not match a valid repository ID. Use "subscription-manager repos --list" to see valid repositories.

Hi Sadashiva,

Thanks for confirmation. I've tested it on another VM, same result.

Regards,
Christian

There is a typo in some of the documentation. The _x86_64 shouldn't be part of the repo name. The correct repo name is rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms or rhel-7-workstation-devtools-rpms.

# subscription-manager repos --list-enabled
+----------------------------------------------------------+
    Available Repositories in /etc/yum.repos.d/redhat.repo
Repo ID:   rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms
Repo Name: Red Hat Software Collections RPMs for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server
Repo URL:  https://cdn.redhat.com/content/dist/rhel/server/7/$releasever/$basearch/rhscl/1/os
Enabled:   1

Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-rpms
Repo Name: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server (RPMs)
Repo URL:  https://cdn.redhat.com/content/dist/rhel/server/7/$releasever/$basearch/os

Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms
Repo Name: Red Hat Developer Tools RPMs for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server
Repo URL:  https://cdn.redhat.com/content/dist/rhel/server/7/7Server/$basearch/devtools/1/os

Hi Robert,

Thank you for pointing this out ... I think Sadashiva only made a "typo" and executed the correct command afterwards. :)

Regards,
Christian

Maybe the repo hasn't fully gone live yet? The blog was just posted about it on the 15th, so it may be possible that Red Hat just needs a little extra time to get it fully working for everyone.

Hi Matt,

Yes, this might be a possible reason. I contacted the developer team and asked them to have a look into the issue.

Regards,
Christian

This is a bug. Some SKUs per properly tagged for that channel and some where not. It is ACTIVELY being worked.

Apologies - was using my test account above.

This is a bug. Some SKUs per properly tagged for that channel and some where not. It is ACTIVELY being worked.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for clarification and the explanation. Do you have any information when the bug will be fixed ?

Regards,
Christian

What is the status? It has been almost two weeks now.

Hi Lucian,

Nothing changed until now, I contacted the developer team twice, but unfortunately I didn't receive a response yet.

Regards,
Christian

Engineering has just informed me that this is resolved.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your information ! :) I checked it at once ... but unfortunately it seems not to be the case.
I still get Error: 'rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms' does not match a valid repository ID.

Regards,
Christian

Hello Christian,

Might your issue have to with this article? https://developers.redhat.com/products/developertoolset/hello-world/ It seems the development-tools have been moved to repos: rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms and rhel-7-server-optional-rpms

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Thank you Jan Gerrit,

Good idea ... but no - this is most certainly not the case ... please have a look at the output from my current setup ->

$ sudo subscription-manager list
+-------------------------------------------+
    Installed Product Status
+-------------------------------------------+
Product Name:   Red Hat Software Collections (for RHEL Server)
Product ID:     201
Version:        2
Arch:           x86_64
Status Details: 
Starts:         01.04.2017
Ends:           01.04.2018

Product Name:   Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server
Product ID:     69
Version:        7.4
Arch:           x86_64
Status Details: 
Starts:         01.04.2017
Ends:           01.04.2018  

$ sudo subscription-manager repos --list-enabled
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-extras-rpms
Repo Name: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - Extras (RPMs)
Repo URL:  https://cdn.redhat.com/content/dist/rhel/server/7/7Server/$basearch/extras/os

Repo Name: Red Hat Software Collections RPMs for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server
Repo URL:  https://cdn.redhat.com/content/dist/rhel/server/7/$releasever/$basearch/rhscl/1/os

Repo URL:  https://cdn.redhat.com/content/dist/rhel/server/7/$releasever/$basearch/os

Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-optional-rpms
Repo Name: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - Optional (RPMs)
Repo URL:  https://cdn.redhat.com/content/dist/rhel/server/7/$releasever/$basearch/optional/os

$ sudo yum list cdk-minishift
Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
Error: No matching Packages to list  

$ sudo yum list rh-devsuite
Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager

$ sudo yum list rh-eclipse47-devstudio

Regards,
Christian

Did you try redoing the original commands that you originally tried per https://developers.redhat.com/products/devsuite/hello-world/#fndtn-rhel ?

$ su -
# subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms
# subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms

Yes, of course I executed the commands, Mike and that's why I immediately informed you about the result -> https://access.redhat.com/discussions/3155021#comment-1213031 ... seems you've missed the comment. :)

Regards,
Christian

I can confirm your results. It seems that nothing has changed.

Thanks for confirming it ... prevents me from thinking that I'm "getting too old to get stuff done".
Little joke Matt - your confirmation helps to fasten up the process of getting it fixed in the end. :)

Regards,
Christian

Have you done a subscription-manager refresh lately to get the latest repo definitions?

# subscription-manager refresh
1 local certificate has been deleted.
All local data refreshed

I was able to successfully add that repo today with a $0 Developer Suite subscription via developers.redhat.com.

Note: when I've had to do a thorough cleaning to try to get rid of some corrupted repo/subscription data, the steps I've used are:

# subscription-manager unregister
# subscription-manager clean
# yum clean all
# subscription-manager register --auto-attach

Robert,

Looks like that did the trick. I was able to add the repo after

subscription-manager refresh

Thanks,

Matt

Matt, Glad that solved it for you.

Note you will need to add a GPG key to install those packages. - see DevSuite Hello World for RHEL

# cd /etc/pki/rpm-gpg
# wget -O RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-devel https://www.redhat.com/security/data/a5787476.txt
# rpm --import RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-devel

Hi Robert,

This indeed is the solution, so I marked your information as "Best Response". Thank you very much ! :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi All,

Even worse if I try to find one of the rpm via the rpm search on access.redhat.com I get an error when trying to download it manually.

I will open a Red Hat support case to find out what is wrong with the repository, for it does not show in my Satellite either. Only a repository for RHEL 5 and RHEL 6.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

All,

Things get wierd, for https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Developer_Toolset/6/html-single/User_Guide/index.html#sect-Red_Hat_Developer_Toolset-Subscribe states:

yum install devtoolset-6 from the repository rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms

I tested it and the installation worked fine.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Yes, Jan Gerrit,

It somehow is weird, the developer team should update their documentation / website to make it more clear. :)

Regards,
Christian

Note: It's easy to get confused by the similar naming.

There is a software collection called Red Hat Developer Toolset that is part of RHSCL and includes newer GCC and related tools that are updated more frequently than what is in RHEL. This has been around for a number of years. The major version number tends increases with releases, it may be tracking gcc version numbering. Since it is a software collection it is part of the RHSCL repo.

Very Recently (as in the last month) a new repo/channel was created for Red Hat Developer Tools, to be a channel from the Red Hat Developer Tools group. Currently this repo contains primarily Red Hat Container Development Kit and JBoss Developer Studio 11.0 IDE,

On Windows and macOS there is a single installer called Red Hat Development Suite that installs those tools and required dependencies. The Developer Tools repo and rh-devsuite meta package are essentially of the analog of the Dev Suite installer on RHEL.

CDK had it's own repo/channel during some of the 2.x and 3.0 releases. As of the 3.1 release it is paft of the new developer tools repo.

I suspect there might be some repo consolidation when future releases occur. But for now as a developer you should have the RHSCL, new devtools, and RHEL optional-rpms repos enabled on your system at a minimum.

Hope this helps.

--Rob

Hi Robert,

This is exactly how I understood everything from the beginning. Thanks a lot for your explanation. :)

Regards,
Christian

To all you nice guys having been involved to find a properly working solution :
Thank you very much, Jan Gerrit, Lucian, Matthew, Mike, Robert, Sadashiva !
Here is the transcript showing every step of the transaction to get it done :

$ sudo yum clean all
Cleaning repos: rhel-7-server-extras-rpms rhel-7-server-optional-rpms rhel-7-server-rpms rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms
Cleaning up everything

$ sudo rm -rf /var/cache/yum

$ sudo subscription-manager remove --all
1 subscription removed at the server.
1 local certificate has been deleted.

$ sudo subscription-manager unregister
Unregistering from: subscription.rhsm.redhat.com:443/subscription
System has been unregistered.

$ sudo subscription-manager clean
All local data removed

$ sudo subscription-manager register
Registering to: subscription.rhsm.redhat.com:443/subscription
Username:
Password:
The system has been registered with ID:

$ sudo subscription-manager refresh
All local data refreshed

$ sudo subscription-manager attach --auto

Installed Product Current Status:
Product Name: Red Hat Software Collections (for RHEL Server)

Product Name: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server

$ sudo subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms
Repository 'rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms' is enabled for this system.

$ sudo subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-extras-rpms
Repository 'rhel-7-server-extras-rpms' is enabled for this system.

$ sudo subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-optional-rpms
Repository 'rhel-7-server-optional-rpms' is enabled for this system.

$ sudo subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms
Repository 'rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms' is enabled for this system.

$ sudo subscription-manager repos --list-enabled
Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-extras-rpms
Repo Name: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - Extras (RPMs)
Repo URL:  https://cdn.redhat.com/content/dist/rhel/server/7/7Server/$basearch/extras/os

Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms
Repo Name: Red Hat Developer Tools RPMs for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server
Repo URL:  https://cdn.redhat.com/content/dist/rhel/server/7/7Server/$basearch/devtools/1/os

Repo ID:   rhel-7-server-optional-rpms
Repo Name: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - Optional (RPMs)
Repo URL:  https://cdn.redhat.com/content/dist/rhel/server/7/$releasever/$basearch/optional/os

$ sudo yum list cdk-minishift
Available Packages
cdk-minishift.x86_64                       3.1.0-1.el7                        rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms

$ sudo yum list rh-devsuite
Available Packages
rh-devsuite.x86_64                        2.0.0-2.el7                         rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms

$ sudo yum list rh-eclipse47-devstudio
Available Packages
rh-eclipse47-devstudio.x86_64            11.0-0.20170809.1307.el7             rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms

Cheers :)
Christian

That is nice. I appreciate your efforts.

Thank you, Sadashiva ! :)

I appreciate your efforts too.

Regards,
Christian

Well, now that I thought I had everything working, I'm running into another problem. About a day or two after I got the repos working, I got an error stating I'm not subscribed to "Red Hat Developer Tools (For RHEL Server)"

Product name    Red Hat Developer Tools (for RHEL Server)
Product ID  394
Version 1.0
Architecture    x86_64
Status  Not Subscribed (Not supported by a valid subscription.)
Starts  
Ends

This is odd because I have a valid subscription through the free RHEL developers program (my subscription renews in November).

I have tried:

subscription-manager unregister
yum clean all
subscription-manager register --auto-attach

Hi Matt,

I'm having the same subscription attached and as you can see from my output above, Red Hat Developer Tools is not listed as a separate subscription there too. The tools contained in the Red Hat Developer Toolset are available in the rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms repository. To list the tools that are included, execute sudo yum list devtoolset-*.

Regards,
Christian

This is odd, but I checked my subscriptions again this morning, and everything is working again. No subscription errors, everything is just fine. Weird.

Yes Matt, odd indeed ... seems to work for some users randomly, for others not ... let's hope that it will work reliably soon. Thanks for your information.

Regards,
Christian

All,

I have been called by Red Hat support regarding my support case about this issue, and they do not have a solution for it at the moment. I am not able to find the rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms repository as a repository to sync by Satellite 6.2.11. Even after 2 manifest refreshes.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Thanks for your information, Jan Gerrit. There seems something basic not set up correctly, I once again checked the availability via the Red Hat Package Browser and still I receive the error I described in the thread Red Hat Developer Suite availability via Red Hat Package Browser.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

Extra: When I mentioned that multiple people mentioned the issue on the Discussion forum the support technician mentioned you by name.

He is aware of the errors you posted and will contact the Engineers responsible for CDN.

To be continued.

Jan Gerrit

Thank you Jan Gerrit, I appreciate your efforts helping to solve the issue.

Regards,
Christian

I believe I've heard that the problem with the package browser displaying "something went wrong" when clicking on a package in the devtools repo was a bug that would be addressed soon.

Hi Robert,

Well, I think that it is more part of the whole "repository transitioning process" and the engineers are investigating this after ir. Jan Gerrit Kootstra opened the support case and talked with the technician. We'll see how quick everything can get fixed. :)

Regards,
Christian

My testing today (September 6th) shows the Package Browser issue with the DevTools channel is resolved. I believe an update occurred for the package browser or the customer portal itself.

Hi Robert,

I just saw your notification on my other related thread ... thank you very much for your information. :)

Regards,
Christian

I ran into this same issue and could not get it resolved.

Error: 'rhel-7-server-devtools-rpms' does not match a valid repository ID.

Could it be because the RHEL (v 7.4) I'm using is running in a VMware VM?

Hi Dennis,

I can confirm what Jan Gerrit says, I have systems running on bare metal and as KVM guest - in both cases it works. :)

Regards,
Christan

Thanks Christian. I don't know what else to try... I followed every step from your post but still end up with the error.

Hi Dennis,

Well, I also have no idea what else can be done ... I would advise you to contact Customer Service. :)

Regards,
Christian

Dennis, are you able to add other repos?

Pages