RHEL 7.4 Installation

Latest response

When I ran sudo yum update today, a huge amount of packages were offered and obviously the updates would upgrade the system from RHEL 7.3 to RHEL 7.4 because among them were packages from the GNOME 3.22 version. A lot of dependency problems were reported, which is exactly what I had expected : jumping from GNOME 3.14 to 3.22 is a big change, so (as always) I strongly recommend to perform a clean installation of RHEL 7.4 !

Cheers :)
Christian

Responses

Hi Christian, you are talking about rhel 7.4 Beta right? This is a complete different story! Of course there can be some some issues when updating to a Release that is not GA. In my point of view, your recommendation is not tenable at all.

Generally there are no great impacts when updating to a new minor release. This is why you are using an paid enterprise grade OS. There is no need for a "clean install" if you are updating to a higher minor release in the most cases since API & ABI compatibility is guaranteed by Red Hat.

Hi Steven,

No, I'm not talking about the beta - I am talking about the final release of RHEL 7.4 !
Please read my note from today -> https://access.redhat.com/discussions/3133571
Also you can ask many experts, all of them generally recommend clean installations.

Regards,
Christian

Sorry just seen the release notes, my bad :-) but still your recommendations do not make any sense without more detailed information.

Really Gnome on a RHEL Server or RHEL as Workstation OS? If you like the pain, go for it, but I think there are plenty of options to have a more pleasant life ;-)

Greetings

Steven

Hi Steven,

Why the negativity ? A pain ... ? No, really not ! I am using RHEL Server and installed the GUI on top.
The operation system works fine without any issues and is a completely reliable piece of software ...
Anyway, it is my recommendation and of course you can upgrade the system if you prefer to do so.

Regards,
Christian

Clean install!! really?! The reason why I am using RHEL on my desktop is trying to avoid those words actually. clean install for me means being off for at least 2 days to fix the related issues, and Steven is right its a PAIN.

Hi Hani,

Trying to resolve the dependency problems might be a pain as well - right ?
But as I said before, it's up to everyone to decide themselves how to do it ...

Regards,
Christian

I'm seeing a dependency loop upgrading RHEL 7.3 Workstation to RHEL 7.4. Seems to be involving libgtk, libgdk, and libnotify. It's been running to 2 hours now, starting to think Christian's advice is a good idea.

Hi Brad,

Thank you for your information. You know, my recommendation doesn't come "out of nowhere" ... I am supporting users of Linux operating systems and perform the necessary troubleshooting for some years now. The experience shows that most of the issues and problems derive from broken stuff after upgrading instead of freshly installing.

Regards,
Christian

Yes, as Christian mentioned there would be issues noticed and sometimes it would not be much difficult to fix but sometimes it would be tiresome. Most of the time as I also noticed it is because of the "gnome" or "x window" based packages which gets broken on the way or could be due to application throwing error after upgrade. In my opinion we could keep these issues to minimal if we choose to upgrade a system without GUI. Even the Red Hat upgrade path from RHEL 6 to 7 supports only base server without GUI or desktop. I could see here that all Gnome and KDE related packages are not supported https://access.redhat.com/solutions/637583.

Hi Sadashiva,

Thanks for your contribution and for providing additional, useful information to further clarify and explain the topic.

Regards,
Christian

This is disturbing 7.4, I am guessing is not a new release. We went through a RHEL 7.2 to 7.3 upgrade without much pain. Is 7.3 to 7.4 is a pain, then I think Redhat should fix it.

Hi Robert,

Disturbing the success of RHEL 7.4 ? Not really ... I think it is exactly the opposite : GNOME 3.22 brings users of RHEL a modern desktop environment, which makes RHEL catching up to other Linux distributions. Combined with the rock solid and stable base system, this is one big advantage in the competition which system to choose as the daily driver.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Robert,

After yum update RHEL 7.4 platform is stable, efficient, and resourceful but install the Server with GUI and all that good stuff are questionable. Why is the stability of Server with GUI a bust? Walking on egg shells. After yum update the yum groupinstall gnome-desktop x11 Fonts and yum groupinstall "Server with GUI" hangs my RHEL 7.4 with Server and GUI three times. This made me experience in backup, snapshot, and reinstallation. The pain is the web server, application, and database rebuild. Those Eclipse APIs Firefox...etc, and GUIs are needed as a fully functioning OS. So looking for a robust stability for Server with GUI yum install.

Hi Michael,

When you choose the option "Server with GUI" during the installation process in the Anaconda installer, it should work just fine and flawlessly ... I did that several times and this method never failed or caused any trouble at all. :)

Regards,
Christian

You can do a yum update from a lower minor version of RHEL 7.x (such as rhel 7.2, rhel 7.3) straight to rhel 7.4 without a clean installation/reinstallation or kickstart. Doing a major upgrade from a major release of Red Hat (such as rhel 5.x to 7.x or going from rhel6.x to 7.x) would highly recommend a clean reload or kickstart.

We've upgraded dozens & dozens of systems from 7.3 to 7.4 with no issue (workstations/servers) (had to deal with some NVidia annoyances though on workstation, but not too bad).

Hi RJ ! :)

I agree with you, updating from a minor version to the next minor version should work properly. I have tested it some time ago when I upgraded the system from RHEL 7.2 Server (with GUI) to RHEL 7.3 Server (with GUI) and the result was a success, though both had the GNOME 3.14 desktop environment. What I wrote in my original post about the dependency issues - I think the switch to GNOME 3.22 made the difference here. But I have to admit that I am one of those persons who like to have perfectly set up systems, because my experience shows that issues often occur later on when the system is not configured perfectly right from the beginning ... be it a fresh installation or an upgrade.

Regards,
Christian

Howdy Christian,

Ah I see - yes, good configs are a foundational issue for certain!

Kind Regards -RJ

GM Gurus.

I have a typical requirement where I have 240 GB hard disk and I need to install RHEL 7.x on it with boot envi (BE) and alternate boot envi (ABE) on a same disk by partitioning the hard disk into 120 GB and 120 GB. Also Once I install it on one partition successfully on BE I need to sync (mirror) the ABE all the time. If I need any maintenance I need to split the mirror and have updates on BE and if all looks good I need to reattach the ABE.

Can any one please help me with any document/blog that I can refer to or if some one can provide me the procedure that would a great help and much appreciated.

Regards Venu.

Hi , I have the similar situation.. Could you tell me if you have got solution?