Difference between FreeIPA and RHEL Identity Management

Latest response

Hello,

I am currently looking into FreeIPA and Rhel Identity Management and am wondering what the differences are. I have read that RHEL Identity Management is based on FreeIPA, but haven't found any documentation on the differences between them.

I am also looking into integrating the Identity service in an containerized environment. My current research tells me that both solutions supports containers, but would quite like to hear your thoughts.

Any explanation will be great, thanks in advance!

Troy

Responses

Can servers from other distros use the freeipa client to connect to a Red Hat Identity Manager ?

I have been using both FreeIPA and IdM for quite some time, technically there is no much difference. FreeIPA is open source free version and IdM is RedHat subscription paid version. Though you do not have to pay separate charges for IdM software as it is part of the OS bundle. Advantage is you get technical support if you have paid for the same and saves you lots of R&D time in case of production issue when you are busy. Sorry, I haven't implemented in the containerized environment. But should not be different as everything moves around the domain and the zones inside "Network Services" -> DNS which kind of gives you advantage and saves so much on manual configuration plus makes the environment more flexible and dynamic. It is a great software integrates well with Windows AD, which is a separate topic in itself. This could go on.... I will pause here... Tx

Daniel White, Yes. servers from other distros can use the freeipa client to connect to a Red Hat Identity Manager. But just keep in mind that in case of issue on the freeipa client(other distro), you will not get tech support from RedHat as first thing RedHat engineer request is sosreport. And if your product is not RedHat version tech support will not work on the case. Tx.