Redhat Satellite Standalone without capsule server

Latest response

Hi Guys,

I am confused about Satellite and Capsule server. I installed Redhat Satellite 6.2 and I don't have any capsule server under Infrastructure tab. I have some questions about capsule server.
1- Do I need a capsule server for managing my environment. Is there any additional feature that capsule server can do but Satellite itself can't.
2- I know when I install the satellite it installs internal capsule server on it. Is this true? Can I see configuration of that internal capsule?

Thank you for your help.

Responses

Capsule server mirrors content from Satellite server to facilitate content federation across various geographical locations. See [1]. They also decrease the load on the central Satellite server, increase redundancy and reduce bandwidth usage. More info can be found in the Red Hat Satellite Architecture guide [2]. When you install Satellite server, the default capsule will be installed - you can see this under Infrastructure -> Capsules in Satellite6 Web UI.

1. Do I need a capsule server for managing my environment. Is there any additional feature that capsule server can do but Satellite itself can't. - [Answer] Satellite server can do everything for you. There is no requirement that you need to have external Capsule server installed other than the reasons related to load, redundancy, locations and bandwidth usage as I explained above.

2. I know when I install the satellite it installs internal capsule server on it. Is this true? Can I see configuration of that internal capsule? [Answer] Go to Satellite6 Web UI -> Infrastructure -> Capsules -> Click on a Capsule server to see the overview page.

[1] https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_satellite/6.2/html/installation_guide/what_satellite_server_and_capsule_server_do

[2] https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_satellite/6.2/html/architecture_guide/chap-documentation-architecture_guide-capsule_server_overview

Thank you very much Sureshkumar I think I did something wrong when I was installing satellite server because I don't see any internal capsule under Infrastructure tab :)

Sureshkumar pretty much nailed what a capsule server is. Just to add a bit more context...

Probably the best way to think of a capsule is that it's the server component that handles the actual content management and system management jobs while the Satellite server is like an administration interface. A basic installation of Satellite contains an internal capsule, so you can perform all functions from one host on the local network, but you can add extra external capsules to your infrastructure when you need to manage systems in separate areas be it in separate networks or separate geographical locations.

For example, I might have a local office with systems to manage and then several offices in other countries. I can have my Satellite server with its internal capsule managing my local network, then have external capsules in each office managing systems. The Satellite server essentially communicates with all capsules and sends them jobs (content synchronization, provisioning, system functions, etc). This allows me to manage not only my local systems but also systems in other offices using the Satellite server as my main point of management.

Thank you Daniel I am clear now :)

you mentioned increased redundancy, How can a capsule increase redundancy? If the satellite goes down can I still get the patches or provision from the capsule?

For some operations, there's increased redundancy. For example, the Capsule can host copies for content, which means that if the Satellite goes down, you can still install packages. Other functions that the Capsule provides: DNS, DHCP, provisioning templates, Puppet, Kerberos realms, and a few others.

It's not a complete replacement for a Satellite server if it goes down. For example, The Satellite server is the main unit that pulls source content, creates content views, and pushes the new content to the Capsule. It also manages the provisioning and registration functions. I don't think you can provision a new system from a Capsule alone.

Basically, the Capsule provide some of the main functions that the Satellite server provide to act as a kind of proxy. If the Satellite server goes down, the Capsule still provides those functions. It doesn't provide everything for proper application lifecycle management, but it should provide enough until you get the Satellite back online.

deleted See reply from Daniel Macpherson and Sureshkumar Thirugnanasambandan above