How much disk space do I need for reposync?

Latest response

Hello there,

I would like to create a simple mirror using reposync and createrepo. With these tools I like to sync the following repos which are included in a standard subscription:

• Red Hat Software Collections (for RHEL Server)
  • Oracle Java (for RHEL Server)
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server
  • Red Hat Developer Toolset (for RHEL Server)

Does someone know how much disk space is required to sync the repos mentioned above? Please tell me, if you know.

Best regards,
Joerg

Responses

Hello, it is not possible to give exact sizes as packages have dependencies and new package version are released in Errata from time to time. So the repo size keeps growing. The Satellite 6 Installation Guide gives some guidelines in the Storage Requirements and Recommendations section.

I have never used the Oracle Java repo, only repos for testing Satellite Server with ed Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server, but I suggest you allocate 50 GB if you can, and then do a test to see the size. What ever the final size is remember to leave room for growth. Using LVM storage is best for coping with the growth.

I have set up an host for testing with a 80 GB partition for the packages/repos. The first run of reposync with the parameter -n (download only newest packages) results in:

• 180 MB for rhel-7-server-extras-rpms
  • 4,3 GB for rhel-7-server-optional-rpms
  • 3,9 GB for rhel-7-server-rpms
  • 451 MB for rhel-7-server-supplementary-rpms
  • 571 MB for rhel-7-server-thirdparty-oracle-java-rpms
  • 3,6 GB for rhel-7-server-rhscl-rpms

After that I run reposync a second time without -n. Now the disk space usage looks like:

• 1,1 GB for rhel-7-server-extras-rpms
  • 17 GB for rhel-7-server-optional-rpms
  • 18 GB for rhel-7-server-rpms
  • 4,3 GB for rhel-7-server-supplementary-rpms
  • 5,5 GB for rhel-7-server-thirdparty-oracle-java-rpms
  • 6,8 GB for rhel-7-server-rhscl-rpms

So anyone could get an idea of the disk space you need to start, today. Of course Stephen is right, you should keep in mind that the repos are growing over time.

Hello,
I've returned my tests today and would like to share the results here. The first run of reposync with the parameter -n (download only newest packages) results in:

• 256M rhel-7-server-extras-rpms
  • 6,4G rhel-7-server-optional-rpms
  • 4,5G rhel-7-server-rpms
  • 506M rhel-7-server-supplementary-rpms
  • 4,9G rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms

After that I run reposync a second time without -n. Now the disk space usage looks like:

• 2,6G rhel-7-server-extras-rpms
  • 35G rhel-7-server-optional-rpms
  • 34G rhel-7-server-rpms
  • 7,5G rhel-7-server-supplementary-rpms
  • 11G rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms

So, my 80 GB partition from two years ago would be too small for that. :-)