blk_update_request I/O error, dev sde, sector 0

Latest response

kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sde, sector 0
kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdf, sector 0
kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 0
kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0

Why this error occurred? Can we ignore this alert?

How can we resolve this?

Responses

Was this resolved? I am getting this on Oracle ASM devices.

Those look like disk I/O errors on disks. If the errors refer to regular disk devices (sd*), I would carefully check the health and connectivity to those disks. The first step would be to find out what kind of disks those are: a "lsscsi" or "lsblk" command output might be very helpful here.

If those are local SATA/SAS/SCSI disks, I would check the connectivity and health of those disks: verify that all cables are properly plugged in, and review the SMART diagnostics data (see: the smartctl command).

If those are something like multipathed FibreChannel or iSCSI disks, I would see if those disk devices all refer to a particular HBA. I would also verify HBA status, to see if e.g. one path of multipathed storage has failed or started to produce errors. (The "multipath -ll" command or a similar multipath status display command might be useful here.)

If the errors always refer to sector 0 of each disk, in a multipathed system it might be something as simple as multipathd repeatedly testing a path that's been found to be inaccessible. (Reading sector 0 is one of dm-multipath's path_checker methods.) Once the failing path is fixed, the errors should stop.

Please see article here: https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1191433 We also see this in RHEL 7

this is fd0 only

how about sd*

we are getting same exact errors but it is for shared disk presented to Oracle RAC ASM. Almost daily we are getting same error on sd*. Any feedback or possible solution would be helpful

I am seeing the same errors on oracle vm server 3.4 that has two vmrac vm's and shared asm disk. were you able to contact oracle support and figure it out?

[ 303.427403] ocfs2: Unaligned AIO/DIO on inode 5771535 on device md127 by loop2

[ 486.207047] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev nvme0n1, sector 5818241025

[ 486.207265] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev nvme1n1, sector 5818241025

[ 486.210562] lo_rw_aio_complete:454:ERROR:-5 received. Device loop2 MAJOR:7 MINOR:2

[ 486.210566] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev loop2, sector 17805313

We are also getting the same errors but the backed is ISCSI Stroage and the LUNS are shared on multiple clients . Any clue or root cause for the same . ?

same here... Multipath disk from IBM fast 7000

In my case it was resolved after disabling the jumbo frames on Ceph Storage . Please check if all the Interfaces are on same Speed from Storage till the server . It is usually caused by communication issues in your environment .

since we were configuring these disks for RAC ASM and didn't wanted to use ASMLib since we wanted to leverage UDEV rules for ASMFD there was misconfig on sharedbus which couldn't be set to NONE because disk.enableUUID was not set. Once that was configured no issues were reported since then.

I have noticed similar kind of issue on RHEL 7.6 server

kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 67113024 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 27233504 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdf, sector 69734464

Although this was only once i.e. 3 days back, after this there is no more repeated.

Any one have any information, why this kind of issue comes and how to resolve this ?

Please assist on this

I have noticed similar kind of issue on RHEL 7.6 server

kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 67113024 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 27233504 kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdf, sector 69734464

Although this was only once i.e. 3 days back, after this there is no more repeated.

Any one have any information, why this kind of issue comes and how to resolve this ?

Please assist on this

is this shared disk ? If so, make sure you have multi-writer flag enabled.

This is Physical server Please let me know , how to check Disk is shared or not in this case

For Disk shows following permission details

drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 0 Sep 27 03:35 /sys/block/sdc/device/scsi_device/14:0:0:2/ drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 0 Nov 14 13:36 /sys/block/sdc/device/scsi_disk/14:0:0:2/