To disable fd0 permanently

Latest response

Hello Team,

Would you please let me know how do we disable fd0 permanently? I run nmon utility periodically using cron job and since it scans fd0 also it throws below error in logs.

blk_update_request: i/o error, dev fd0, sector 0

So , I want fd0 to be disabled permanently, I ran the following command but it disables temporarily until the server gets rebooted.

modprobe -r floppy

Your help will be appreciated.

Responses

Something like echo "blacklist floppy" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-floppy.conf might work.

I tried but it does not work, I executed the command and rebooted the server. And ran lsmod | grep -i floppy and cat /proc/partitions, fd0 still shows up

If floppy is loaded in the initrd instead of from the root disk you can't do just that you have to re-create your initrd (with dracut) so the blacklist takes effect in the initird and prevents floppy from being loaded in the initrd.

The echo command and then doing dracut worked for me. fd0 kept appearing on a vmware server and would not go away. Thanks

One other option,

Some systems will allow you to do this at the bios level... besides the other options above.

RJ

I have success running the following commands:

--

echo "blacklist floppy" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-floppy.conf

rmmod floppy

dracut -f -v

-- Daniel Meireles

Thanks Daniel, the process work for me, i am using RHEL 7.6 under VMware 6.

Daniel, Thank you for this information! This worked for me as well using OEL 7.6 on VMWare 6.

Hello,
There is a KB article describing the messages and how to make it disappear: message "kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0" output from parted, sosreport, and other commands run on vmware guest

Regards,
Joerg