Post Installation Help

Latest response

Hello, I recently downloaded a trial of RHEL 7. After installing, I get the command line asking for my login name and password. After entering those I am still at the command line. What do I enter to finish installing and boot into the OS for the first time? Anything I should do when I first boot up?

Responses

Gnome Desktop is not listed in "software selection." Trying Server w/ a GUI.

Server /w a GUI worked.

Hi Mike,

Just to clarify: You did "boot into the OS", it's just that no graphical environment was installed. If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, you don't need to reinstall the system -- just install the necessary packages. In this case, you could've installed the group of packages that contains the GNOME desktop environment. Using yum:

yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop"

To list all available package groups, run yum grouplist.

Thanks for the reply. Is "server w/ a gui" just as good as gnome? Should I install again?

No need to install again. The "Server with GUI" base environment provides the default graphical desktop, i.e. GNOME. See the Software Selection chapter in the Installation Guide for an overview of the installation options. The chapter also says how to view the list of packages included in the different base environments offered by the installer.

Ok, I think that's all I need to know. Thanks for the help. I'll close this thread. Thanks