LVM problems on RHEL with KVM installed

Latest response

Hi,

I am pretty much completely out of ideas now. I have been away from Linux for a while and kind of missed out on the whole LVM thing.

I have read a LOT of documents and am trying to implement something now.

I have a RHEV lab and one of the hosts I have loaded RHEL with the hypervisor installed.

The host is a Dell 2950 and it has two RAID groups in it, a boot RAID 1 of 67GB and a RAID 5 of 576GB that I did not included in the drives to use by RHEL during the basic server install.

This hos is connected to a SAN as well.

So basically, I want to use the local RAID5 for an NFS export and I want to add it to a LVM group so that I can then create my NFS export on it.

The problem is that I cannot do a pvcreate on this device.

[root@rhel-h-215 ~]# pvcreate -v /dev/sdq
DEGRADED MODE. Incomplete RAID LVs will be processed.
Device /dev/sdq not found (or ignored by filtering).
Wiping cache of LVM-capable devices

I have googled this error extensively and tried everything. The Redhat KB

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/69403

and done

parted -s /dev/sdq mklabel msdos

pvcreate /dev/sdq

and I have tried making a gpt partition deleting partitions - bascially, I ONLY get the device not found message. I also don't have any filtering.. it is the standard lvm.conf, though I did try changing some values.

vgscan does not show my device. I guess that is the problem... but why... and also why when i try to pipe the out put of vgscan to more less file etc it doesn't work, doesn't notice I sent it to more.

and I can't grep the output of it??? I am not getting a warm comfy feeling from lvm at this point.

Can anyone maybe give me some direction?

Thanks
Bill

Responses