Certified Guest Operating Systems
The following is the list of Red Hat and third-party operating systems that are certified and supported for use as the guest operating system with the Red Hat Virtualization Hypervisor. The Red Hat Virtualization Hypervisor is integrated into and is used in the following products:
- Red Hat Virtualization
- Red Hat OpenStack Platform
- Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure
Red Hat also offers Red Hat Enterprise Linux with KVM for low-density, single machine virtualization. For information on the certified guest operating systems for Red Hat Enterprise Linux with KVM, see Certified guest operating systems for Red Hat Enterprise Linux with KVM.
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4||32 bit, 64 bit (x86)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5||32 bit, 64 bit (x86)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6||32 bit, 64 bit (x86)|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7||64 bit (x86)||Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 ||64 bit (x86)|
|Microsoft Windows Server 2008||32 bit, 64 bit (x86)|
|Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2||64 bit (x86)|
|Microsoft Windows Server 2012||64 bit (x86)|
|Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2||64 bit (x86)|
|Microsoft Windows Server 2016||64 bit (x86)|
|Microsoft Windows Server 2019 ||64 bit (x86)|
|Microsoft Windows 7||32 bit, 64 bit (x86)|
|Microsoft Windows 8||32 bit, 64 bit (x86)|
|Microsoft Windows 8.1||32 bit, 64 bit (x86)|
|Microsoft Windows 10||32 bit, 64 bit (x86)|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10||32 bit, 64 bit (x86)|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11||32 bit, 64 bit (x86)|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12||32 bit, 64 bit (x86)|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15||64 bit (x86)|
- For best performance, the para-virtualized I/O drivers (virtio-win) are required to be installed in the Windows guests. The drivers are made available as images in the Supplementary channel of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux host operating system. For more information, see this article. See the Microsoft SVVP site for certification details.
- Red Hat tests and supports the latest service pack of the guest operating system. Red Hat will work with the vendors of specific versions of the guest operating systems to resolve Red Hat hypervisor issues. The customer or partner offering a vendor-supported guest operating system will contact the vendor of that operating system. The vendor will then be responsible for appropriate escalations to Red Hat.
- SPICE drivers (QXL) are not supplied by Red Hat. However, the distribution's vendor may provide SPICE drivers as part of their distribution.
- SPICE is fully supported on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.7, Red Hat Enterprise 7.0 and above, and Windows 7. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.1, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.6 have Tier 2 level support.
- SPICE is supported when spice-vdagent is running on these guest operating systems, but has not been tested.
- An upstream WDDM DoD driver can be used for SPICE. See this link to access the driver. (Please note this is driver/resolution is not a Red Hat supported driver/solution.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 is supported by Red Hat Virtualization 4.3 with the following limitations: there is no support for SSO in gnome environments, only the qemu-guest-agent is supported, virt-sysprep (template sealing) and virt-sparsify are not supported, and v2v
conversion of RHEL 8 is not supported.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2019 is certified for compatibility with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.6 or above.
- This is achieved using QXL-WDDM-DoD driver with no hardware acceleration for 3D.
Supported Guest Operating Systems for IBM Power
The following is the list of Red Hat and third-party operating systems that are supported for use as the guest operating system with Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts with the rhev-qemu-kvm kernel module on IBM POWER8 and POWER9 hardware. Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts on IBM POWER8 and POWER9 hardware are integrated into and used within the following products:
- Red Hat Virtualization
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.5||PPC64BE||PPC64LE|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.6||PPC64BE||PPC64LE|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.7||PPC64BE||PPC64LE||Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.8||PPC64BE||PPC64LE|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.9||PPC64BE||PPC64LE||Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.10||PPC64BE||PPC64LE|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.1||PPC64BE||PPC64LE|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.1||PPC64LE||PPC64LE|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2||PPC64BE||PPC64LE|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.3||PPC64LE||PPC64LE|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4||PPC64LE||PPC64LE|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5||PPC64LE||PPC64LE|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.6||PPC64LE||PPC64LE|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8||PPC64LE||PPC64LE|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP4||PPC64BE||PPC64LE|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12||PPC64LE||PPC64LE|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15||PPC64LE||PPC64LE|
Note: Red Hat Virtualization does not support installing the RHEV-H minimal operating system on IBM POWER8 hardware.
Global Support Services provides support for guest operating systems in accordance with two tiers as outlined below.
- Tier 1: Red Hat has tested, certified and will support this combination of hypervisor and guest operating system. Customers may contact Red Hat for support.
- Tier 2: Red Hat will provide hypervisor support for customers that use this combination of hypervisor and guest operating system. Customers may contact Red Hat for hypervisor support and their Vendor for guest operating system support. Red Hat will work with the Vendor if the guest operating system issue is related to a hypervisor issue.
- Note: If a guest operating system is not listed then support for that guest operating system will be provided in accordance with Red Hat's Third-Party Software Support Policy.
- Red Hat may chose to continue providing hypervisor support for a guest operating system beyond the supported life cycle of that guest operating system. However, customers are recommended to review with the guest operating system vendor support policies relating to support for end of life products.
This section provides an overview of the version of the Red Hat Virtualization Hypervisor included in Red Hat products. See the table for each product for a list of the applicable versions.
Red Hat OpenStack Platform
The following table outlines the versions of the Red Hat Virtualization Hypervisor module included in Red Hat OpenStack Platform.
|Red Hat OpenStack Platform Version||Red Hat Virtualization Hypervisor Version|
|3.0||6.4 and above|
|4.0||6.4 and above|
|5.0||6.4 and above, 7.0 and above|
|6.0||7.2 and above|
|7.0||7.2 and above|
|8.0||7.2 and above|
|9.0||7.2 and above|
|10.0||7.3 and above|
|11.0||7.3 and above|
|12.0||7.4 and above|
|13.0||7.5 and above|
|14.0||7.6 and above|
|15.0||8.0 and above|
|16.0||8.1 and above|
Red Hat Virtualization
The following table outlines the versions of the Red Hat Virtualization Hypervisor module included in Red Hat Virtualization.
|Red Hat Virtualization Version||Red Hat Virtualization Hypervisor Version|
|3.0||6.2 and above|
|3.1||6.3 and above|
|3.2||6.4 and above|
|3.3||6.5 and above|
|3.4||6.5 and above|
|3.5||6.6 and above, 7.1 and above|
|3.6||7.2 and above|
|4.0||7.2 and above|
|4.1||7.3 and above|
|4.2||7.4 and above|
|4.3||7.6 and above|