Using Red Hat Universal Base Images (UBI) offers a way to build your container images on a foundation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux software. See Using Red Hat Universal Base Images for details on using Red Hat UBI container images.
This article identifies:
- Images: Information on how to find available Red Hat UBI container images
- Repositories: Available software repositories for updating and adding to UBI container images with RPM packages that can be freely redistributed
- RPM packages: Descriptions of how to find all the packages in and available to UBI container images
- Source code images: Descriptions of how to get source container images for each published UBI container image
If you have problems or enhancement requests for UBI, enter a bug at the Red Hat Bugzilla site (under the
distribution BZ component and UBI7 or UBI8). See the UBI Weekly bug list for the current set of bugs. Red Hat customers can enter a Red Hat Support Case.
NOTE: Although we make a best effort to keep this article up to date, the only true way to obtain the latest list of Red Hat UBI images, repositories, and RPM packages is to check the source of that information directly. Each section below describes how to obtain that information.
Red Hat UBI Images
For the latest list of images and details about each image, refer to the Red Hat Universal Base Image section of the Red Hat Ecosystem Catalog. Red Hat UBI images are available from both authenticated (
registry.redhat.io) and unauthenticated (
Red Hat UBI repositories
Each Red Hat UBI image is pre-configured to point to UBI yum repositories that contain the latest versions of UBI RPM packages.
No subscription is needed to update Red Hat UBI images from packages in those repositories.
/etc/yum.repos.d/ubi.repo file inside each UBI container contains entries for available UBI repositories.
Those set to
enabled = 1 are currently enabled. Refer to the
baseurl for each repository to see the location of those packages. Type
yum repolist to see the list of enabled repositories (
yum is not available in the minimal UBI images).
The following Red Hat UBI repositories are enabled by default within RHEL 7 and RHEL 8 UBI images.
RHEL 7 UBI repositories
|repository id||repository name|
|ubi-7/x86_64||Red Hat Universal Base Image 7 Server (RPMs)|
|ubi-7-rhah/x86_64||Red Hat Universal Base Image Atomic Host (RPMs)|
|ubi-7-server-devtools-rpms/x86_64||Red Hat Developer Tools RPMs for Red Hat Universal Base Image 7 Server|
|ubi-7-server-extras-rpms/x86_64||Red Hat Universal Base Image 7 Server - Extras (RPMs)|
|ubi-7-server-optional-rpms/x86_64||Red Hat Universal Base Image 7 Server - Optional (RPMs)|
|ubi-server-rhscl-7-rpms/x86_64||Red Hat Software Collections RPMs for Red Hat Universal Base Image 7 Server|
RHEL 8 UBI repositories
|repository id||repository name|
|ubi-8-appstream||Red Hat Universal Base Image 8 (RPMs) - AppStream|
|ubi-8-baseos||Red Hat Universal Base Image 8 (RPMs) - BaseOS|
Red Hat UBI RPM packages
To see a list of RPM packages installed inside a Red Hat UBI container, type:
To see all available RPM packages from inside a Red Hat UBI container, type:
yum list all
Note that the
yum command is not available in the minimal images.
Another way to find the RPM packages available to all UBI images is to browse the UBI repositories. As noted earlier, all UBI repositories are listed in the
/etc/yum.repos.d/ubi.repo file within each UBI container.
The URL to each repository is listed with the repository name. Replace
$basearch with your computer architecture, such as x86_64, as shown in the examples:
- ubi7: https://cdn-ubi.redhat.com/content/public/ubi/dist/ubi/server/7/7Server/x86_64/os
- ubi-7-rhah: https://cdn-ubi.redhat.com/content/public/ubi/dist/ubi/atomic/7/7Server/x86_64/os
- ubi-7-server-extras-rpms: https://cdn-ubi.redhat.com/content/public/ubi/dist/ubi/server/7/7Server/x86_64/extras/os
- ubi-7-server-optional-rpms: https://cdn-ubi.redhat.com/content/public/ubi/dist/ubi/server/7/7Server/x86_64/optional/os
- ubi-server-rhscl-7-rpms: https://cdn-ubi.redhat.com/content/public/ubi/dist/ubi/server/7/7Server/x86_64/rhscl/1/os
- ubi-8-baseos: https://cdn-ubi.redhat.com/content/public/ubi/dist/ubi8/8/x86_64/baseos/os
- ubi-8-appstream: https://cdn-ubi.redhat.com/content/public/ubi/dist/ubi8/8/x86_64/appstream/os
- ubi-8-codeready-builder: https://cdn-ubi.redhat.com/content/public/ubi/dist/ubi8/8/x86_64/codeready-builder/os/
Red Hat UBI source container images
Red Hat now produces source container images, containing all source code associated with each Universal Base Image (UBI) that it publishes. To read about UBI source container images and how to obtain them, refer to Getting UBI Container Image Source Code.
- Article Type