- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6 or 7 with the High Availability Add-On
Useful References and Guides
- Support Policies for RHEL High Availability Clusters
- Where I can find documentation for SAP products on RHEL and other Red Hat products?
This guide offers Red Hat's policies and requirements around managing an SAP Netweaver deployment with a RHEL High Availability cluster. Users of RHEL High Availability clusters should adhere to these policies in order to be eligible for support from Red Hat with the appropriate product support subscriptions.
Scope of Red Hat support with SAP software resources managed by a cluster: Refer to Red Hat's policy on Management of applications that Red Hat does not ship for further details on Red Hat's scope of support applicable to SAP software deployments in a RHEL High Availability cluster.
The focus of Red Hat's assistance may be limited to functionality of the High Availability software and the SAP resource-agent(s). In some cases SAP's input may be necessary to diagnose the nature of a problem - even if the problem originates in the resource-agent Red Hat ships. Solutions to problems with RHEL High Availability + SAP Netweaver deployments may be dependent upon some input or deliverable from SAP in cases where the issue can not be solved adequately through RHEL High Availability without SAP's assistance.
Red Hat subscriptions for SAP Netweaver support: Red Hat provides support for RHEL High Availability's resource-agents managing SAP Netweaver deployments through the following subscriptions:
- RHEL for SAP Solutions
- RHEL for SAP Applications
- RHEL for SAP Business Applications
One of these subscriptions is required in order for Red Hat to assist with RHEL High Availability management of SAP Netweaver.
Supported platforms for SAP Netweaver on RHEL High Availability: Red Hat support for its software supporting the SAP Netweaver solution stack - including RHEL High Availability and its resource-agents for SAP software - largely follows the policies laid out for RHEL High Availability and RHEL:
- Support policies for RHEL High Availability clusters
- How do I verify if a particular Red Hat Enterprise Linux version is supported on my hardware?
However in public-cloud deployments, Red Hat's support for this SAP Netweaver solution stack is limited to only the following cloud platforms:
- Amazon Web Services Elastic Cloud (AWS EC2)
- Support for SAP in a RHEL High Availability environment in Microsoft Azure is currently contingent upon deploying SBD as a secondary power management mechanism alongside fence_azure_arm as your primary fence mechanism due to an ongoing issue in Microsoft Azure that impacts timely fencing of nodes when utilizing fence_azure_arm
Other cloud provider platforms are not supported by Red Hat for this solution at this time. Please contact Red Hat Support if you are interested in running SAP Netweaver on another cloud platform.
Supported releases of SAP Netweaver: Red Hat provides support for RHEL High Availability management of the following Netweaver products:
- SAP NetWeaver Application Server for ABAP 7.X
- SAP NetWeaver Application Server JAVA 7.X
- SAP Netweaver Application Server with ABAP and Java 7.X
Supported Databases for SAP Netweaver managed by RHEL High Availability: Red Hat supports RHEL High Availability management of SAP Netweaver with any of the following database types for Netweaver using
SAPDatabase resource agent:
pacemaker clusters (RHEL6, RHEL7):
- Oracle 11gR2 (11.2.0.x), 12c
- IBM Db2 LUW 9.7 and 10
- SAP (Sybase) ASE 15.7 and 16
- SAPDB/MaxDB 7.x
- SAP HANA Database 1.00 and later (see section below)
rgmanager clusters (RHEL6):
- Oracle 11gR2 (11.2.0.x)
- IBM Db2 LUW 9.7 and 10
- SAPDB/MaxDB 7.x
Use of SAP HANA Database for SAP Netweaver: When using an SAP HANA Database for SAP Netweaver managed by RHEL High Availability, the following conditions apply for Red Hat to provide support:
- Each cluster node must have a local installation of
SAPHostAgentand the version of
SAPHostAgentacross the cluster must be the same
- Each SAP HANA instance in same cluster must have unique instance number
- SAP Note 1625203 - saphostagent / sapdbctrl for NewDB for
Additional technical requirements for SAP Netweaver deployments in pacemaker cluster:
- When running
SAPInstancein Master/Slave mode instance numbers of (A)SCS and ERS must be different