Red Hat has worked to certify several products as part of Microsoft’s Server Virtualization Validation Program (SVVP). Certification by Microsoft of Red Hat products is performed against a specific combination of hypervisor and operating system components. For example:
- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.5
- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0
Supportability, certification and compatibility across all applicable Red Hat products stem from these certifications.
These products may be sold as a standalone product, or as part of a bundle with other software or services. For example, Red Hat Enterprise Linux with Smart Virtualization is a bundle sku that contains:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux as a host server operating system
- qemu-kvm-rhev as the hypervisor component
- additional entitlements for running an unlimited number of RHEL guests on the licensed host server
- The ability to manage the licensed host through Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager
The list of Red Hat products that inherit SVVP certification from their hypervisor and operating system components include:
- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux with Smart Virtualization
- Red Hat Cloud Infrastructure (RHCI)
Please note that, historically, Red Hat has submitted certain versions of RHEL 5 and RHEL 6 for certification under SVVP.
RHEL 6.6 will be the last version of RHEL that will be certified with Microsoft for SVVP using the RHEL operating system with the qemu-kvm hypervisor.
Starting with 7.0, Red Hat will only submit the RHEL operating system with the qemu-kvm-rhev hypervisor, which is used in the products and bundles in the previous list. For a complete list of Red Hat products certified under SVVP, please see the following link:
Red Hat products certified with the Microsoft Server Virtualization Validation program