- How do I set or reset a GRUB password?
- How do I lock down GRUB to prevent people modifying the kernel boot parameters?
- For years the grub-md5-crypt program has been available to generate MD5-hashed passwords for locking down GRUB, but now that MD5 is widely-considered broken (and is of course not FIPS-approved), how can SHA-256 or SHA-512 passwords be used with GRUB?
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- grub-0.97-70.el6 or higher
Subscriber exclusive content
A Red Hat subscription provides unlimited access to our knowledgebase, tools, and much more.