Temporary failure in name resolutionor
Host name lookup failureonly for some domains but not others
- The problem only occurs on RHEL6, not on RHEL5 or Solaris
- The problem can be seen with
- Specific DNS query tools/utilities such as
digwork fine in all environments
# cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.7 (Santiago) # telnet host.example.com telnet: host.example.com: Temporary failure in name resolution host.example.com: Host name lookup failure
# cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.11 (Tikanga) # telnet host.example.com Trying 10.0.0.157... Connected to host.example.com. Escape character is '^]'.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (unconfirmed but likely also affected)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- Hostname with many A and/or AAAA records
- DNS response larger than 512 bytes
- Not allowed TCP traffic over port 53
- Infoblox DNS server (optional)
Subscriber exclusive content
A Red Hat subscription provides unlimited access to our knowledgebase of over 48,000 articles and solutions.