Red Hat Enterprise Linux evaluation subscription
If I have an evaluation copy of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, do I need to perform a re-installation of the operating system if I decide to purchase after the evaluation period is over?
- You downloaded a copy of the free evaluation subscription of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Perhaps you were using Fedora Core or another operating system but wanted to have more compatibility, stability, and support with Linux. Your 30-day evaluation period is almost over and you have the system configured to your liking. You now want to purchase a subscription based on your evaluation copy, however, you do not want to perform a re-installation the operating system.
- If you have installed a version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS/ES/WS or Red Hat Desktop and would like to change your evaluation subscription to a fully supported, purchased subscription, you should not have to re-install the operating system. If you maintain the same product then re-installing should not be an issue. For example, your evaluation was Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES and you want to purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES. Additionally, if you purchase the subscription for the same product before your evaluation expires, the evaluation system registered with Red Hat Network (RHN) will not have to be re-registered. The change from evaluation to purchased subscription should be transparent to RHN.
- Without going over every possible scenario, in general, if you have an evaluation subscription and purchase the same product for the same architecture, then a re-installation should not be required. If the product or architecture is changing with your purchase, then a re-installation would be required. See the following notes for some examples of changing the product or architecture.
- Note: A re-installation would be required if you are changing products. For example, your evaluation was Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS and you want to purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS or Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES.
- Note: A re-installation would be required if you are changing architectures. For example, your evaluation was the x86 version but, you want to purchase AMD64, Intel© EM64T, or Intel Itanium version.
- Warning: If you installed a beta version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux then a re-installation of the operating system is required. Red Hat Global Support Services will not support a beta version of our products.
- See additional articles in the knowledgebase on how to obtain a Red Hat Enterprise Linux evaluation subscription.
This solution is part of Red Hat’s fast-track publication program, providing a huge library of solutions that Red Hat engineers have created while supporting our customers. To give you the knowledge you need the instant it becomes available, these articles may be presented in a raw and unedited form.