- Posted In
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Today marks an exciting milestone for Red Hat as we share news of the general availability of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, the latest major release of the flagship platform. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 not only lays the foundation for the open hybrid cloud and serves enterprise workloads across converged infrastructures; it pushes the operating system beyond today’s position as a commodity platform. Built to meet modern datacenter demands along with next-generation IT requirements, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 powers the spectrum of enterprise IT, from application containers to cloud services.
With today’s announcement, we invite Red Hat customers, partners, and members of the public to join the Red Hat hosted virtual event, Redefining the Enterprise OS, at 11 a.m. EDT today at http://bit.ly/RHELjune10 to learn more about Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 offers customers agility and flexibility to meet new requirements head-on without increasing complexity, from rapidly delivering new applications via secure, lightweight containers to scaling infrastructure to meet big data requirements with new and enhanced file systems. Key Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 features to address future IT needs include:
- Enhanced application development, delivery, portability and isolation through Linux Containers, including Docker, across physical, virtual, and cloud deployments as well as development, test and production environments.
- Significant file system improvements, including XFS as the default file system, scaling to 500 TB.
- Cross-realm trust to easily enable secure access for Microsoft Active Directory users across Microsoft Windows and Red Hat Enterprise Linux domains, providing the flexibility for Red Hat Enterprise Linux to co-exist within heterogeneous datacenters.
- Powerful and secure application runtimes and development, delivery and troubleshooting tools, integrated into the platform and container-ready.
While serving as a catalyst for enterprise innovation, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 also delivers the military-grade security, mission-critical reliability, as well as the performance, and ease-of-use capabilities to efficiently “keep the lights on,” including:
- Innovative infrastructure components like systemd, a new standard for modernizing the management of processes, services, security and other resources.
- Built-in performance profiles, tuning and instrumentation for optimized performance and easy scalability.
- Unified management tooling and an industry-standard management framework with OpenLMI for streamlined administration and system configuration.
- Enhanced application isolation and security applied via containerization to protect against both unintentional interference and malicious attacks.
Since its introduction more than a decade ago, Red Hat Enterprise Linux has become the world’s leading enterprise Linux platform, and it has set industry standards for performance and security while continuously innovating and evolving. Today, Red Hat Enterprise Linux is a leading force in the enterprise datacenter and in the cloud. More than 90 percent of 2013 Fortune 500 companies, along with organizations in nearly every industry and around the globe, rely on Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 answers the heterogeneous realities of modern enterprise IT with a cohesive, unified foundation that enables customers to balance modern demands while reaping the benefits of computing innovation, like Linux Containers and big data, across physical systems, virtual machines and the cloud – the open hybrid cloud.
LEARN MORE ABOUT RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 7
Attend the Virtual Event and Webcast:
To join the virtual event or view the replay after the event, visit http://bit.ly/RHELjune10
Read the press release:
Download Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (requires login):
Access the documentation (requires login):
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 documentation: https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/
* Release notes: https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/7.0_Release_Notes/index.html
Get the latest news on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
We’ll be communicating announcements on betas, availability and more on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 via the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Blog moving forward. Subscribe today at http://rhelblog.redhat.com
The Red Hat Enterprise Linux Team