red hat satellite client installs

Latest response

I have redhat Satellite 5.6 installed. I am trying to find the best way of installing the 'client' onto all of our servers. If someone can point me to this it would be great.

Sincerely,
Frank

Responses

Hi Frank - there are 2 significant ways to register a client to the Satellite (in my opinion).

• when you create a new kickstart profile, Satellite will populate the profile with ALL KINDS of stuff which will register the box, apply patches, import keys, etc... (I typically do NOT use this method ;-) This method assumes that you are using a kickstart profile created by your Satellite.

• bootstrap.sh - a separate file contained in the web servers /pub/bootstrap directory. This is the method I use (new builds or old machine registrations).

Review this document:
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Network/5.0.0/html/Client_Configuration_Guide/ch-bootstrap.html

TIPS:
- the files will be published to /var/www/html/pub/bootstrap/*
- before you run rhn-bootstrap, make sure you have made copies of /var/www/html/pub/bootstrap/*
- I create a "vanilla" file (with no options) and then modify the bootstrap.sh that it generates (add my ACTIVATION_KEYS)
- I also create my own kickstart profile(s) based on anaconda-ks.cfg from a build standard that I like
- THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT: There is a variable FULLY_UPDATE_THIS_BOX - if you do NOT want your box patched to the current state of the Channel(s) you add it to (via ACTIVATION_KEYS) then you need to change that variable to 0.

I think that covers it ;-)

In my environment, I have the kickstart pull down the bootstrap file (and then we run the bootstrap.sh manually after the host finishes building.

wget -O /root/bootstrap.sh http://rhnsat01.corp.company.com/pub/bootstrap/bootstrap.sh

So here is the thing, I have a whole bunch of servers that were not updating at all or to redhat, i want to now convert these to pick up from the satellite server, and I am looking for the best way to achieve this. At the moment I assume I will need to login to each box and reconfigure the update functionality.

Frank - the method I described using bootstrap.sh will work. The bootstrap will import the GPG keys, install any necessary packages to get the rhn_tools functionality working, etc...

On your satellite
* make sure there are not existing bootstrap files about to be overwritten

rhn-bootstrap
vi /var/www/html/pub/bootstrap/bootstrap.sh
# Update FULLY_UPDATE_THIS_BOX=0 and ACTIVATION_KEYS=+yourkey+ variables

Then on your client(s)

wget -O /root/bootstrap.sh http://rhnsat01.corp.company.com/pub/bootstrap/bootstrap.sh
sh /root/bootstrap.sh

Technically you could probably pound through all of your environment using:
(if you have sudo nopasswd)

for HOST in `cat hostlist.txt`
do 
  ssh -t $HOST "/usr/bin/sudo wget -O /root/bootstrap.sh http://rhnsat01.corp.company.com/pub/bootstrap/bootstrap.sh && /usr/bin/sudo sh ./bootstrap.sh"
done

Hi Frank,

rhn_ks with an activation key makes it possible to script this.
You first need to find out how to create an activation key or activation keys for the channel confugrations you need.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

I have my activation keys in place, one for each channel and a universal one.

Hi Frank,

I use the bootstrap method (for years) that James mentioned and prefer it, and the rhn_register
-- or what Jan says above will also do it. I have my bootstrap.sh so it can be ran just by itself. I added the activation key into my bootstrap.sh script (slightly renamed)

You can certainly use your activation key (others spoke about this above) with the bootstrap (I have my activation key in my kickstarts)

I have gotten the bootstrap working, now however when the system goes to update, it fails . i don't know how to eliminate the error, and it stops all of the updates from happening.

Hi Frank,

checkout /etc/yum.repos.d directory, is there a something.repo file a local-dvd repo reference?
for the error states the repo is failing

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit

Sorry to hijack - but how/where did you see the image Frank mentioned? I don't see any files on this thread (I want to report it if something is broken).

there was a local.repo file, which when i removed it everything started working.