OpenStack PackStack All-in-One

Latest response

For a proof-of-concept I've requested and been provided a sixty-day demo of OpenStack 4. My goal is to demostrate OpenStack quickly, so using the Getting Started Guide I've intalled the all-in-one version of PackStack. PackStack is a very good way to instantly get OpenStack up and running. Having accomplished that let's create a golden-image Red Hat Linux server.

To this end I log onto the dashboard as "admin" and to the left select the existing project tab named "demo". Then I click Images and Snapshots and make the ISO image for RH 6 available. I'm certain the image is useful because I can Lauch an Instance using Instance Boot Sourcd -> Boot from Image, with the Image Name drop-down as "RH 6.5". The instance starts running and I can connect the the console and see the messages typical for a Red Hat install from DVD.

So far so good.

But now I'm a little confused on how to create a useful virtual machine. Using the steps I detail above, I continue with the installation dialog (Choose a Language, Keyboard Type, Installation Method -> Hard Drive, Select Partition -> /dev/vda1, Welcome to Red Hat -> Ok). The installation process presents a warning Error processing drive, for a "Virtio Block Device. I'm offered the chance to ignore or reinitialize. Regardless of the choice the next window says: "Unknown Device The installation source given by device ['/dev/vda1'] could not be found. Please check your parameters and try again. -> Exit installer."

I don't understand how I booted from ISO, but the installation can't seem to see the DVD to conduct an actual install.

Advice?

Responses