File Manager Continuously starts

Latest response

Today (04Feb2014) I did a yum update on a RHEL6.x (server) box that is using gnome desktop. When root or users log into Gnome, the File Manger (nautilus) is continuously starting, unsuccessfully. Nautilis will not start from the CLI either. This is a production box, and I am having to roll back due to the problem. I also tried doing a yum --security update, and have the same problem...

Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone know a work around or point me to a fix? Everything I have found has not helped yet...Need a little help ASAP.

Thanks!
BP

Responses

More information, and probably what the issue really is.
When trying to run nautilus from the terminal in gnome:
[root@xxxx ~]# nautilus
Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
process 17850: arguments to dbus_message_unref() were incorrect, assertion "message->generation == _dbus_current_generation" failed in file dbus-message.c line 1396.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-bus library. D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print backtrace
Aborted (core dumped)

If I do sudo nautilus I do not get this error, however nautilus is not working at all for my users or root.

I checked the .xsession-errors of my user account... It is full of the above error.

Brian,

I get the same issue overhere.

Very annoying on a desktop.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi,

The same problem appeared today on all of my boxes after “yum update”. Has anyone got the solution?

Thanks

Oh. I am glad I am not the only one then... hopefully someone from RH can chime in. It is eating the CPU up, so I am having to drop to runlevel 3 to do anything.

I have narrowed the problem down. I rolled back, and then did a yum --security check-update to see what packages would be listed. Did a update one at a time for each package.

Package librsvg2.x86_64 causes my problem. I have no idea why, or what this package is... but is the culprit in my case. I will exclude it for now, and not sure if/how to submit a bug report to RHEL.

Please file a support case via:
https://access.redhat.com/support/cases/new and provide this info if you can, thanks!

Just submitted. Thanks for the link.

Downgrading librsvg2 to older version works - solution until the official fix is available.

yum downgrade librsvg2 librsvg2-devel

Well that works for me
When is the official fix became available ?

Fixed. https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/712203

Upgrade to librsvg2-2.26.0.6.el6_5.3 or above. (though I have not tested, as I am not at work now)