RHSCA Root Password Reset Password

Latest response

Hey All. I just completed my RHSCA exam and failed.

I got to question/task 17 of 22, everything going great, and was requested to reset the root password on one of the servers.

I was extremely confident in my ability to complete this task; I had done it about once a day for the past 2 weeks as practice and even some real production scenarios. I accessed the console of the server, reboot it, interrupted the boot process, and appended the line beginning with 'linux' with 'rd.break'.

This should lead me to a shell where I can mount /sysroot and reset the password but instead I kept getting the Emergency.target. Which, I would need the root password to login there. It could not have been any setting that I would need to login to change as I did not know any credentials to the server.

Its even more upsetting that I am unable to find a solid explanation of what exactly happened. Everything is pointing to me taking the correct steps. I feel as though I don't have a path forward to study.

I have found this https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1192

1. is my issue, but the text that is there is very confusing. "You would reach to screen shown below, just press Enter to get the shell" what?

I also pressed enter MANY times at the emergency shell during the test, I did not get to the shell. Control-D also did nothing.

I was extremely frustrated with this and still am. The questions after were a cake walk but I was unable to complete them due to missing this step.

Does anyone know what could have caused this? I spent about an hour on my test trying all sorts of different combinations to complete this task. After the test, I went to my lab, did the EXACT same thing, and I was able to get into the correct shell prompt.

Any help or test advice for my re-take would be great. Thank you in advance

Responses