RHEL 8.8 won't kickstart from thumb drive with 13th generation intel CPU Dell XPS 15 9530 (year 2023)

Latest response

We just got new new laptops that are Dell XPS 15 with the 13th generation Intel CPU. If I boot with a 8.8 USB thumb drive select troubleshooting then select basic graphics the installer starts and I can set the language. But because we have five of these systems I usually kickstart them. For kickstart I create a second partition on the thumb drive and place the .ks file. Next before I boot I hit the 'e' key to edit the boot options. In the past I use inst.ks=hd:UUID=xxxxxx-yyyy-zzzz and I place that right have quiet. With these newer laptops I will get the message "started cancel waiting for multipath siblings of nvmw0n1" so I also add nompath to the bootoptions. Typically when I boot with nompath and inst.ks options the error I get is "ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: ucsi_handle_connector_change: GET_CONNECTOR_STATUS failed (-110) then I am stuck.

If I use the same thumb drive (with no kickstart and no nompath boot options) and reboot the machine select troubleshooting->basic graphics the installer comes up fine.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance for the help.

Responses