Wifi adapter all of a sudden not recognized, though it worked at installation time

Latest response

Hi,
I got RHEL 9.0 installed on a Dell 3891, fresh install of a server with no GUI. While I was installing RHEL 9 on this system, the wifi adapter showed up as recognized, established a connection with the wifi router and downloaded all the packages needed for the setup chosen at installation. It is a built-in wifi adapter, whose name and make was available while Windows was still installed on this system, but now it is not even showing up when I issue lspci command. The wifi worked only at installation time.
That very same wifi adapter stopped being recognized right after the first reboot. The ip a command lists the wifi adapter as wlp0s20f3 which could possibly be a generic name. When I try to turn on the device via nmcli dev up wlp0s20f3 it gives me the following error message:
failed to add/activate new connection. Device class NMDeviceGeneric had no complete_connection method
The nmcli con show command lists the wifi connection that was made during the installation, along with alive and working Ethernet connection.
This is not the first RHEL installation on this system. I previously had a RHEL 8 Server With GUI and the wifi worked in that case. The system originally came with Windows installed and wifi worked in that case as well.
How do I get the wifi connection back for this system? Some may say to just run an Ethernet cable from the router, however that wifi router is located in a building I have no access to. Router settings haven't changed since other devices I have still successfuly connect to that wifi network.

Responses