New installation of RHEL 9.0: Kernel Panic Fatal Exception

Latest response

Did a clean installation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.0 (no errors on the install medium) on a Lenovo ThinkPad T410 from 2010 (Intel Core i5 M 520, 6 GB RAM).

On first startup it freezes and the Caps Lock light starts blinking. Pressing Esc at the boot screen before it freezes reveals a kernel panic (see attached picture).

The call trace mentions "iwlwifi" but even with wireless turned off it still crashes. At the installer, the Intel wi-fi worked perfectly.

Starting in Rescue mode behaves exactly the same way.

What is wrong and what can be done to have this OS start up? RHEL 8.6 works fine on this computer.

Linux kernel panic on Lenovo T410 computer

Responses

I've got exactly the same issue on a Compaq laptop. Hoping for a solution.

Getting the same with using kickstarter file and packer on my hypervisor.

Even I got the same error when installing RHEL9.0 on Vbox.

Has anyone got any update on this?

Hi All,

Some thoughts : First of all, ORACLE VirtualBox is known for generating unexpected issues. I recommend to use another tool
for virtualization, if even possible. I stumbled upon a discussion on the Community forums that might explain what's going on :

Kernel Panic - CentOS 9 Stream
Especially this comment is interesting -> Something in the Linux kernel that C9 stream is using has changed ...

I think we will have to wait until a new Vbox version (with matching guest additions) that supports RHEL 9.0 will be released.
The latest version is more than two months old. Linux users may want to switch to KVM, everything works out-of-the-box. :)

Regards,
Christian

I am not trying to run this OS in a virtual machine. The computer I am using is mentioned in the original post. Someone else replying to this thread is trying to run it on VirtualBox.

For now I am sticking with RHEL 8.6. Perhaps this computer with first generation Core i5 is missing some hardware features that RHEL 9.0 requires, but I am not sure.

Hi Hugh,

No hardware support ? Yes, that might be the reason in your case. On one of my older machines
with a 4th Gen i7 CPU the USB medium refuses to boot with the message "... unsupported ...". :)

Regards,
Christian

The RHEL 9.0 installer from USB medium does work on the machine with 1st gen i5. It is the installed OS that crashes (tried installing with "workstation" and "minimal" options).

I also installed RHEL 9 on a machine with a 3rd gen i5 and it works properly, so that one is not too old.

Hi Hugh,

Unfortunately I don't have an idea how to solve the problem, it can be "this and that".
In case your subscription includes technical support, you may open a support case. :)

Regards,
Christian

Just an update on this, today I tried with new Vbox which is latest installed on Ubuntu 21.04 platform (laptop) which worked perfect. I got RHEL9.0 GA installed successfully.

Thanks for the information, Sadashiva ! By the way, Canonical offers to install and use QEMU/KVM as well ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Agree, but wanted to test it on Vbox.

Back to the original person who posted this discussion. for vbox, aka virtualbox questions PLEASE START A NEW DISCUSSION

This discussion was started by great name pick of "Hugh Mungus" (wow, fantastic alias name for the discussion forums)

"Hugh" mentioned he is interested in loading RHEL 9 on a Lenovo ThinkPad T410 from 2010 (Intel Core i5 M 520, 6 GB RAM).

I do see a ThinkPad T420 listed on Lenovo acceptable hardware for RHEL 9, but not a T410 at this compatibility link

"Hugh" -- I recommend attempting installing this on a more current system than a T410, based on the link above.

Kindly,
RJ

Anyone landing here, please see the hardware compatibility link I provided above, AND for virtualbox, that is a separate matter, and I posted a question on Virtual Box's forums and I'm not sure if there will be a response soon or not.

Kindly,
RJ

Hi RJ,

The link you provided requires being logged into an account.
You may want to edit the link, so that customers can read it :

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106237

Cheers :)
Christian

Thank you Christian!

You're welcome, RJ ! :)

I have a Lenovo T510. I have the same kernel panic error. Apparently my laptop is also too old and I also need a newer computer to use rhel9. I thought only Microsoft pulled this on their customers. No worries. I will use Debian instead where I am able to use "older" hardware to still have a good experience, in accord with the design of Linux. I wish MicroHat luck with their future plans. With this latest "upgrade" the platform has been ruined.