Profiling Tool Recommendations?

Latest response

So, our security group is requiring our RHEL-based servers all be equipped with on-access A/V software. Our Enterprise selected McAfee so that's what's now being rolled out to our Linux servers. It's been an interesting experience. Network file transfers that take 10s for 100MB of data with NAI disabled take a hair under a minute-thirty to load onto a "protected" system. Installation of that 100MB compressed software package takes about a a little less than two minutes when NAI is disabled and takes a shade under fifteen minutes.

Unfortunately, simply providing anecdotal data such as this isn't sufficient for getting our security folks to see if there may be something wrong with McAfee or if McAfee may simply be the wrong solution for our systems. Does anyone have an recommendation for memory and/or CPU profiling tools to create good, concise reports to turn over to our decision makers. Granted, I could probably use the tools in the sysstat package to generate data to dump into Excel, just wanted to know if there were any (free) tools that might either do more of the legwork for me or would allow me to do more fine-grained resource profiling of just the NAI activity.

Responses