cannot execute binary

Latest response

Hello everyone,I am Katongole Juma.

I am having an error under Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.8 (Tikanga)

"./tset: ./tset: cannot execute [Exec format error]" when i try executing the "tset" file under /usr/bin/

Any help is highly appreciated.

Responses

Please do the following:

[root@cypher bin]# ls -l /usr/bin/tset
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 22464 Dec  3  2009 /usr/bin/tset
[root@cypher bin]# file /usr/bin/tset
/usr/bin/tset: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, stripped

Someone may have overwritten the file (or changed the permissions).  Depending on what is wrong, you could reinstall the package that owns the file.

[root@cypher bin]# yum whatprovides /usr/bin/tset

ncurses-5.7-3.20090208.el6.x86_64 : Ncurses support utilities
Repo        : installed
Matched from:
Other       : Provides-match: /usr/bin/tset

[root@cypher bin]# yum reinstall ncurses

Thanks alot

Let me try it out.

yum whatprovides /usr/bin/tset
Loaded plugins: product-id, rhnplugin, security, subscription-manager
Updating certificate-based repositories.
This system is not registered with RHN.
RHN Satellite or RHN Classic support will be disabled.
http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/rhel/rhel5server-x86_64/RPMS.os/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: os. Please verify its path and try again

It seems that you have not registered your system with RHN, yet - or is linuxsoft.cern.ch your internal RHN? Looks like a public, not working, mirror.

Register your system with RHN or simply mount your RHEL 5 DVD and create a local mirror:

# mount /dev/hdc /media

# vi /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel-dvd.repo

[rhel-dvd]

name=rhel-dvd

enabled=1

gpgcheck=0

baseurl=file:///media/Server

While you sort out your RHN dependency issues, you can also check to see if your tset binary is as it should be. Doing something like

rpm -qf `which tset` will tell you which package the tset binary is associated with (normally ncurses). Once you know its parent RPM, you can verify that the RPM is intact - using `rpm -qV <RPMNAME>`. If the tset binary is listed in the output of `rpm -qV`, you can be reasonably assured there's something henkie with it (I'd be most concerned if the "S" and/or "5" flags showed for it, as that would be indicative that the binary has been altered in some way or the other)

Excellent troubleshooting advice Tom!

Nice - having a DVD Installation media as a repo can be an extremely handy tool.

Thanks guys
it works