Attempting to attach a subscription to a Unit/System

Latest response

Hello all.  New user to Red Hat here, so if I'm asking a stupid newbie question, I apologize in advance.

I'm attempting to pair my subscription, a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Developer Suite, with a virtual machine I've setup (6.3 64-bit).  When I attempt to associate my subscription with this machine, I get the following error message:

org.candlepin.util.CertificateSizeException: Too many content sets for certificate Red Hat Enterprise Linux Developer Suite. A newer client may be available to address this problem. See kbase https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/node/129003 for more inform

I select my system, attach a subscription (choosing one of my 100 of System: Virtual) and when I click 'Attach Selected' I get the above message.  I didn't cut off the word 'information' - that's how the error displays on my screen in red text with a pink background.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I'm doing wrong?

Also, if this is easier, feel free to point me in the direction of how I should go from the point of installing Red Hat in a VMware environment (Minimal Install, so no GUI on it) to the registration process to activating it so I can get access to the yum repositories.  I've tried looking for a FAQ, but I can't seem to find any kind of a step-by-step for how to do this.

My end goal:  To be able to install, uninstall, rebuild, and work with Red Hat servers in a test environment so I don't touch my productions systems and have a test bed for learning, eventually working towards my Red Hat Certification ideally.

Thanks in advance,
Charles

Responses

This has been resolved in RHEL 6.4. A bug was fixed in the subscription-manager package due to the size of the product certificate.

Hope this helps!

Andrius.

Unfortunately, no, it doesn't.  I need to setup a 6.3 server.  Is there any way to do the activation manually then?

Charles

AFAIK, you'll have to use RHN Classic then as your registration/subscription method (not cert-based RHN). I don't know if a manual RPM package install of the 6.4 package on 6.3 will work, that hasn't been tested by Red Hat to my knowledge.

Andrius.

Andrius - 

As is true 9 times out of 10, as I was looking for something else, I stumbled across my answer.

Under Red Hat 6.3 minimum install, I simply ran this command and followed the wizard:  rhn_register

Once that process is complete, I'm now able to run yum updates, add new components, etc.

Just thought you (or others as well) could use this information.  Thanks for helping out a Red Hat Newbie!!

Charles

Charles,

Sorry I didn't clarify - but 'rhn_register' is part of RHN Classic. :-)

Andrius.