Meet Robb Manes - Our GSS Red Hatter of the Week!

Latest response

This week's featured Red Hatter is Associate Technical Support Engineer Robb Manes.

In his own words:

"Hello! My name is Robb Manes and I am an Associate Technical Support Engineer within Red Hat's Global Support Services organization - I've been working here for a little over a year. I've lived in a number of places, such as Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, but mostly grew up in Fredericksburg, Virginia and in the Northern Virginia/Washington D.C. area until moving to Raleigh, North Carolina where I started working for Red Hat. Previously, I did Desktop support for Apple, Inc. before moving to the Open Source world and immersing myself in it...and I've never stopped learning since.

I'm a member of our Networking team in GSS, and I love the people I work with. They're all dedicated, extremely intelligent and helpful individuals who work with each other around the globe to teach each other and our customers, solve difficult problems, and improve the Open Source experience for everyone involved. I personally have become quite knowledgeable about subjects such as bonding, networking performance tuning and troubleshooting for applications (especially over 10G) as well as the various network device drivers included within the Linux kernel. I also work with topics such as Infiniband, routing, and anything that touches the TCP/IP stack as it is implemented in the kernel. I work both customer cases and answer the phones on a daily basis - feel free to call in and talk to me!

I equate working with Open Source software to working on an automobile engine - the best way to learn it is to take it apart and put it back together again to determine what exactly works and how it's implemented - you learn fairly quickly how things are designed to work, and with the excellent co-workers I have alongside me we continuously teach each other as new technology is designed.

In my free time I read constantly, go on extended walks (30+ miles or more) and love to travel. I'm still deciding on my next destination, but I'd like to visit another hemisphere this time (and maybe visit my colleagues over there as well!)"

Stay tuned for more from Robb throughout the week!

Responses