Preferred method for installing JBoss EAP 6

Latest response

We are currently working on a migration from Glassfish on Solaris to JBoss EAP 6 on RHEL, and are trying to decide on how we will be installing the EAP software on the servers we're going to be setting up.  We are trying to decide if we should use the RPM or jar installation method, and I was wondering if I could get some advice on which method to use.

Here are some details about our environment:

• Patch management: local Spacewalk (Satellite) server
    • Configuration management: Puppet Enterprise
  • JBoss: EAP 6
    • JVM: OpenJDK 1.7
    • JBoss Management: JBoss ON 3.1 (we have the license for this, and plan to deploy EAP 6 in standalone mode, using JON for management)
    • Web Server: JBoss EWS
  • Load balancing: F5 BigIP

This is an entirely new installation and new OS for us, so we are not limited right now by any past decisions regarding OS or JBoss management.  We're planning to deploy the latest versions of all of the components.  Ideally, if we got a request for a new developer VM or needed another server in the cluster, I'd like to be able to script it to create the VM, have Puppet install JBoss, JON, and the other components, and then have JON apply the appropriate base configuration for that instance.

I did find this article in the Knowledge Base, but as it is 2 years old, and presumably regarding EAP 5, I didn't know what has changed since them.

"JBoss EAP - Installation Options compared"

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/articles/215923

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Responses