New RHEV-H 3.1 host refuses to come online

Latest response

Logged as support case number 00772702.

I have a brand new small RHEV 3.1 environment with one working RHEV-H host and two VMs.  Trying to set up my 2nd. host, I boot from the RHEV-H 3.1-20121221 CD, install RHEV-H, login as admin, go through the setup menus, and connect to my RHEV-M server.  RHEV-M discovers it, I click the "approve" button, and .... well, nothing.  The NICs on my new RHEV-H host will not turn green with RHEV-M and my new host refuses to connect to my NFS storage domain. 

I can ping my new RHEV-H host on both its rhev and storageLAN network IP Addresses I assigned.  When I pull network cables, pings stop answering when they're supposed to stop and start answering again when I connect the cables back up.  I can even ssh into this host and login as admin and run the config menues from an SSH session.  So everyone can see my new host and my new host can see everyone.  I can even mount my NFS datastore by hand from this host.

But nothing I try will make RHEV-M turn my NICs green and RHEV-M keeps telling me every 5 minutes that this host cannot connect to its storage domain. 

After introducing this new host, RHEV-M is now telling me my my whole data center is offline and all the storage is unavailable, but my first host still seems connected to the storage and my VMs are still good.  It's as if RHEV-M insists on giving the new, offline host the SPM role and declares the whole data center offline even though the first host is still connected. 

So what's up with that?  And how do I find out what RHEVM does not like about this 2nd host?

thanks

- Greg Scott

Responses