Temporarily control a RHEV-H 2.2 host with RHEV-M 3.1?

Latest response

If there's a way to make this work, I can save multiple 40+ mile car round trips.

I have a small RHEV 2.2 data center with 2 hosts.  I am **migrating** (not upgrading) to RHEV 3.1.  I have a brand new, freshly baked RHEV-M 3.1 server with an uninitialized data center.  Of course, to make my new 3.1 data center come alive, I need a host.  My only choices are the two RHEV-H 2.2 hosts. 

I have enough capacity to run my VMs on one 2.2 host, freeing one of my hosts to join my RHEV 3.1 installation.  So my migration strategy is, join one host to RHEV 3.1, build up a data center, networks, storage domain, and cluster, then export/import my virtual machines, and then bring in the remaining host and retire 2.2. 

I know I can boot my host from a 3.1 CD/DVD, wipe it, and install a new RHEV-H 3.1 and connect it to my RHEV-M 3.1.  But this means I need to physically travel to the site, which is logistically challenging. 

So instead, I want to ssh into my RHEV-H 2.2 host, run the ovirt-config-install script, and connect it to my new RHEV-M 3.1 server.  Once the RHEV-H 2.2 host is connected to the RHEV-M 3.1 server, I will install RHEV-H 3.1 from the RHEV-M GUI and end up with a fully supported RHEV-H 3.1 host.  From here, I can build out the rest of my new data center. 

I believe this worked with 3.0 - will it also work with 3.1?

thanks

- Greg Scott

Responses