- Posted In
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Wanted to start a discussion on partitially based on the tech brief
The orgins of this document actually came from a need to create a minimal server enviroment. Though allow administrators to install and use 3rd party tools, such Oracle 11G. Which requiring the use of a GUI to do the installation.
Though after completing the task it was found that you didn't need to install a full desktop on your server. More so you didn't need to install a desktop at all.All that was need on the server was the package xauth. Though it was also found that you did need some supporting packages to make sure everything worked for all applications.
There are many different ways of achieveing this the desired outcome.
The key benefits of using X11 over SSH is:
- Server can have less packages installed.
- None of the desktop packages and services need to be installed (such as CUPS, Bluetooth, & Network Manager). Freeing CPU & Memory on the server.
- User accesses server over a secure connection. Graphics are tunneled over SSH.
Though some of the disadvantages are:
- Is not as fast over slow connections.
- If user looses SSH connection. The graphical program is closed as well.
A key advantage of this technique over VNC is that VNC can be very CPU intensive on the server side. This can take away potential CPU time & memory from the target application(s) you are running on your server.
What are your thoughts?
Have you run into any issues?
Do you use a different approach to solve the same problem or findings?