Installation issues with RedHat 6.0

Latest response

First I want to express some frustration - the RHEL 6.0 installer is broken. How it got out of human factors testing I do not know? (Note: I am a development project manager).  It is nice to have some profiles to choose from "Basic Server, etc. but no selection to choose if you want a graphical interface?  Why must this be a mystery for users to solve?  

Installation:  Then and now the anaconda tool still struggles to recognize my IBM LCD panel and establish a resolution - such a simple task for installer packages today.

I have tried several combinations of installations starting with basic video driver at start of install , choosing a basic server install and customizing it with a desktop, adding X11 support, etc. Various run levels at start too.   I have even tried using vi to edit the inittab and xorg.conf files to match  my other RHEL 5 server’s.  No consistent results... I get screwed up screens "lines" or command line login screen. So no cigar ,  it fails to load a graphical UI and stable screen resolution.

Note:  The new RHEL 6 installation shares a console with a RHEL ver. 5 server - both are IBM Xseries servers.   Yeah, I know I could just install webmin and admin from my desk...but that does not solve the installation issue. I need some help from the experts out there.  – you. 

Suggestions please on next steps to try:

Thanks in advance - Steve

Responses