Non-Windows desktops

Latest response

Is anyone else using RHEV v3 for non-windows desktops? I am attempting to PoC RHEV to replace 100+ physical RHEL5 workstations. However, there seem to be some issues that I see that are not show-stoppers, per se, but are a major inconvenience. Of course, there may be simple solutions to this that I am unaware of. 

1. VM windows cannot be dynamically re-sized
  2. Cut and Paste to/from VMs does not seem to work
  3. No Spice client for Mac?  
  4. Multi-monitor support doesn't work
  5. No shared/mirrored console

Does anyone else have issues with using RHEV for Linux desktop replacement?

Thanks,

Kenny

Responses

Hi Kenneth,

We have just today finished running the Spice Cafe at the Red Hat Summit in Boston, where we were using RHEV 3 and thin clients to showcase Spice and RHEL 6 workstations. I don;t think most people using the stations realised they were in a VM.

In any case, what I'm getting at is you might want to try RHEL6 as the desktop OS instead. As for the rest:

MAC client is not here yet, it's a feature several customers asked for so if you really need it and want to add weight to the feature request, you cna do that by opening a support case and requesting the feature. The same goes for shared consoles.

Cut/paste should now work with RHEL6 and the VM guest agents.

And lastly, what do you mean by dynamic windows resizing?

Unfortunately, changing our entire development environment to RHEL 6 is not an option at this point. It is likely that it will happen this year, but not a guarantee. I have found that the spice-vdagent package from EPEL can be installed in RHEL 5.

Dynamic re-sizing of windows: The window is the size equal to the resolution of the VM. You cannot re-size the window and change the resolution to fit. This has been a feature present in VMWare and VirtualBox for quite some time. 

Thanks,

Kenny

If the EPEL based vdagent packages work for you that is great.

As for autoresize, this is something not really intended for the original idea of spice, that was supposed to provide such a good desktop experience, the user wouldn't even know he's in a VM. We've shown that at the summit by the way,

In any case, if this is an important feature for your environment, please file an RFE for it. You cn do that by opening a support case, stating you are asking for a feature, and stating your business reasoning for it. That way, support will escalate it to product management as a customer requested feature, and such requests have a lot of weight in the decision process.

When you start a Spice session, it should automatically adjust the resolution of the guest OS in the VM to be the same as the monitor on the client computer.  There are some glitches with this, but it mostly works with RHEL 6.  You need both the rhev-agent and spice-vdagent packages.