Application Provisioning Tool and automatic restarts for VMs in Virtual Desktop pools

Latest response

When we set up a pool of Windows 7 virtual desktops, we installed the Application Provisioning Tool as stated in the instructions in Lab 8 of the RHEV 3.0 Evaluation Guide.

The Application Provisioning Tools seems to install newer versions of RHEV software on the Windows guest and then automatically restart the Windows guest OS.  It seems to me that this automatic restart could be an annoyance to our users.  This is especially the case because the pool member VM should get its changes rolled back when it is shutdown.  So, once an update it necessary, the Windows guest OS apparently needs to be restarted by APT every time that it starts.

Is it really expected that the APT should restart the computer shortly after it is booted?  Should we not be installing the APT for Windows virtual desktops in pools and instead install the RHEV components in the Windows guest OS individually?

Just before the automatic restart of the Windows 7 virtual desktop that I am using now, I found the following entries in the Application Log.

-----

Event 11728, MsiInstaller

Product: RHEV-Block64 -- Configuration completed successfully.

Event 1035, MsiInstaller

Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: RHEV-Block64. Product Version: 4.7.8. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Red Hat Inc.. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0.

Event 1042, MsiInstaller

Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Windows\TEMP\{44FC2A09-DCF1-49EE-A269-3A047F22A23B}\{042CD13C-735D-4140-B146-D3F8263D7E4C}\Viostor\RHEV-Block64.msi. Client Process Id: 2472.

Responses