Upgrading from beta to ga

Latest response

Hi,

Some of questions.

1. Upgrading the rhev-manager, can I just subscribe the rhev-manager to the new non-beta channels and yum update and rhevm-upgrade?

2. Any issues upgrading the rhev-hypervisors from beta to ga using rhev-manager?

3. Will these new channels be available to synchronize to local satellite?

/Brian

Responses

<snip>

1. Upgrading the rhev-manager, can I just subscribe the rhev-manager to the new non-beta channels and yum update and rhevm-upgrade?

2. Any issues upgrading the rhev-hypervisors from beta to ga using rhev-manager?

</snip>

No. This is not a supported method. RHEV3 Beta testing environment cannot be upgraded to RHEV3 GA.

You have to do a new installation with RHEV3 GA packages including the hypervisor.

<snip>

3. Will these new channels be available to synchronize to local satellite?

</snip>

I think the channels will be coming to satellite.

~Anil

Just confirmed.

You can sync the RHEV channels for your satellite.

The name of the channels can be found from the following URL,

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.0/html/Installation_Guide/sect-Installation_Guide-Installing_the_Infrastructure-RHN.html

~Anil

ok, thanks.

Figured I couldn't just upgrade from beta to ga, but thought I'd ask, since it would be a tad easier.

How about the vm's. Is export/import the way forward, or do you have any guidelines on moving from beta to ga?

About Satellite, I can't see those channels and I have subscriptions, but I'll open a case with redhat support about that.

Thanks, Brian

Hi Brian,

Yes - in-place upgrading may "Just Work," but it isn't an action that was tested by engineering or QA, and not supported by Red Hat Support. Import/Export may or may not work either between Beta and GA.

Similar to RHEL, Betas are self-contained and should only be for testing, and not to be used in a production environment.

The best solution is to begin again fresh with RHEV 3.0 GA.

As for Satellite, you might need a cert refresh from Red Hat Support.

Hope this helps!

Andrius.

I've not supported NFR subsctiption and Beta-GA upgrade works for me.